Post Thanks / Like

is HD speed as good as HD polish to use after HD cut?

is HD Speed good enough to use as the sole product after a round of HD Cut, or do I need to use something like HD Polish in between? I know HD Speed supposedly contains HD Polish, but is it less aggressive?

Post Thanks / Like

Re: is HD speed as good as HD polish to use after HD cut?

I love finishing with Speed. I do this a lot for dealer cars. Just be aware that Speed would be more likely to fill than Polish because it contains a wax and has more oils. So it could cover up DA haze. Nothing to really worry about, just something to keep in the back of your mind.
    Likes TuxedoTaurus liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

I`ve gotten pretty impressive correction with HD speed and a rupes 21. Even with an eraser wipe down immediately after. Finishing up some haze or holograms from cut using only HD speed I feel would work quite well (with the right tools obviously)

Post Thanks / Like

If I remember properly David F. From HD said that Speed is a mix of Polish and Poxy. But I don`t know the exact ratio.

So you question is " Is Speed less aggressive than Polish? ". The answer is yes and no. Since it uses polish it has the ability to cut the same. But since there is less of the abbrasives then it realistically will cut less under the same polishing conditions.

If you are looking to polish to perfection then I would say you want to use HD Polish. But if you are simply looking to 2-step and use the protection from HD Speed then you can`t led be fine. So it depends on you final goal. If you want to use a sealant after the polishing process I would stick with HD Polish.

Post Thanks / Like

To the OP`s question-

(Very valid responses above)

Yes, Speed is certainly an option to use after Cut. The caveats being- what are your goals and how does the paint respond? Filling is a larger possibility with Speed than Polish but any product can `hide.`

Troy mentioned Speed being a mix of Polish and Poxy. I believe that to be mostly correct, however, I believe Speed was also `updated` when HD revamped Cut and Polish with the AAT abrasives (thus- Cut+ and Polish+.) I seem to remember David F. saying that Speed had a small percentage of Cut added to the mix to help with defect removal and also more Poxy for longevity... therefore a overall reduced amount of Polish as a % of the mixture... I could be wrong but that is what I remember. (Dig around in the 3D/HD sub forum. Info should be in a post probably from early 2015 or thereabout.) In my experience, I believe Polish+ holds the edge in overall aggressiveness vs. Speed. That being said, I would wait until David F. stepped into the conversation and cleared the air before trusting my words 100%.
    Former Pro, Now Enthusiast

Post Thanks / Like

Here`s my official answer.....

HD Speed had received some great updates many months back that gave it a much heavier level of cut while still producing/leaving an incredible amount of gloss with good protection too! It`s much more powerful than HD Polish, but still in many instances finishes better. So, you`ll have no problems going with Speed after compounding to quickly and easily remove hazing & hologramming permanently.
    Metro Detroit`s leader in cleaning, preserving & perfecting fine automobiles!
    Likes Migue, ShaneB, beamerstrumpet liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

thanks David! I will give it a go.

Post Thanks / Like

David, could you finally put to rest the filler question. Does Speed contain fillers? Thank you

Post Thanks / Like

Still waiting for answer

Post Thanks / Like

It`s been answered before several times. They have stated there are no fillers in HD Speed.

Now regardless of it not having dedicated fillers, the polishing oils and protective ingredients can still hide/fill slightly, as with most any polish, especially AIO`s. You can do a simple test yourself to see this and it`s why I tell people they still need to do a wipe-down on their test panels, even if it`s just getting a 1-step with an AIO product like Speed.

This is HD Speed that was simply applied by hand like a wax, no correction here. You can see it lessens the appearance of the defects in the paint...or in others words, hides/fills them. A quick solvent wipe down should remove this though....as long as it`s not allowed to sit too long. You can get these results with pretty much any polish or wax.

Post Thanks / Like

Thank you Chad, but it is my understanding that David has answered it both ways. I`m just curious, that`s all. Right now HD polish is my go to polish for just about everything.

Thread Information