Post Thanks / Like

Can one tell how deep a scratch or swirl is by how it is covered up by HD Express wax?

I have a few scratches and swirls on my hood. I did a quick HD touch waterless wash this morning followed up by an application of HD Express. The scratch and swirl was gone. Can I deduce from this that they are shallow scratches?
    Thanks,
    Chris

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Can one tell how deep a scratch or swirl is by how it is covered up by HD Express wax?

Quote Originally Posted by driggett View Post
    I have a few scratches and swirls on my hood. I did a quick HD touch waterless wash this morning followed up by an application of HD Express. The scratch and swirl was gone. Can I deduce from this that they are shallow scratches?
    Thanks,
    Chris

The wax in the product can temporarily hide light defects, so they "sound" pretty light and can "likely" be removed with a mild polish, but this is just an assumption based in the info you`ve provided. Most detailers can have a good idea of what it will take to remove certain defects by just looking at it.
    Likes Stokdgs, donbeezy liked this post
    Thanks driggett thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Can one tell how deep a scratch or swirl is by how it is covered up by HD Express wax?

Thanks for the reply. One of the problems us weekend warriors have is no experience. I will try to use HD Polish to get it out.
    Thanks.

Post Thanks / Like

HD Express Wax, despite the name, is actually more of a glaze and has the filling properties of one. Like Rasky mentioned, I`m betting a light polish will knock those out if they`re light enough to hide with a wax/glaze. Only way to find out is to do a test spot.
    Houston, TX - 300zx twin turbo - F355 F1 Spider - Miata turbo

Likes Stokdgs, donbeezy liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Warning, Autopian Heresy follows: IMO if the [LSP in question] hides the marring well enough, there`s no reason to correct it. Just keep it hidden...if it looks good enough then it *is* good enough; save the correction for when it`s really necessary so you`ll have nice thick clearcoat.
    Likes RaskyR1 liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Can one tell how deep a scratch or swirl is by how it is covered up by HD Exp...

Thanks for the advice. I have been on the fence about whether or not I should correct. I am anxious to try out my da on real correcting but will hold off since I have received multiple warnings about keeping as much clear coat as possible on the car.

Thread Information