Thread: HD Metal Polish

Post Thanks / Like

HD Metal Polish

A quick review of HD Metal.

From 3D:

HD METAL is powerful all-purpose metal polish that is safe for Chrome, Aluminum, Stainless Steel & other precious metal surfaces.

HD METAL is perfect for wheels, exhaust tips & engine compartment bright work.

This versatile cleaner-polish can restore even the most oxidized, stained and marred metal to a flawless bright shiny mirror finish. Special European NANO-Abrasives gently remove defects while producing extensive amounts of gloss with ease.

Contains no ammonia or harsh chemicals. Clean up is a breeze.

From ME:

Packaging / Labeling
    Black bottle, "standard" size. Color label. Label seems durable. From certain angles, it`s hard to make out that it says "Metal" - it`s not as easy to read as HD`s other products such as Polish, Cut, etc. But, you won`t confuse it for another product

Instructions
    From 3D/HD:
    Shake well before use. Apply by hand or with your favorite polishing tool. Gently work HD METAL into surface allowing product to level away oxidation and contamination. Then buff to a clean high gloss.

I believe these are clearly spelled out on the label.

Cost
    14.99$US - 16oz bottle.

That`s what`s listed on 3Ds site. It`s also what I paid through Amazon Prime.

Value: YES. Well, I didn`t compare the cost to other products in the category. But 15 bucks for the bottle, and a little goes a long way. Yeah, I think this is a good value. So much so, I almost regret buying it. Sounds like a contradiction? Let me explain: I already had a 2oz sample bottle that came in one of 3D/HDs sample kits. (Why don`t we see more companies do these types of kits?!?!). I didn`t *need* the 16oz bottle then. I hadn`t realized that a little goes a long way, so in hindsight, I would have been okay with the sample bottle. But i`m okay with it, and this bottle should last me a long time. Not like I do a whole lot of metal polishing!

Product Description
    Consistency is that of a thicker milk-like substance. Thicker than your average Vitamin D milk, but not as thick as other paint type polishes. Come to think of it, it`s kind of like a vanilla milkshake that you let sit a bit too long. It comes out of the bottle easy.

Smell. Can`t recall. I did my testing months ago. I don`t think it was offensive. That`s subjective. But, it didn`t smell like anything in particular. Not like a grape smell or anything. I wouldn`t even say it`s a strong odor/smell.

In Use
    SOOOOO easy to use. For real. I used it with a cheap Costco MF towel. I wasn`t sure what it would do to my towels, so used my cheapest. Glad I did. The metal I applied this on stained my towel. After a wash, the towel still had the dark charcoal stains left behind from this polishing job.

I applied it to a chrome metal bumper on a 1967 VW Bug. The owner came to me for a paint polishing job. She told me she was going to replace both bumpers. The front one was terrible with the chrome plating coming off, already missing in big parts, and covered in surface rust. Definitely needs to be replaced, or taken to a pro plater. The back bumper wasn`t so bad. Still had it`s chrome. Mostly, it was minor surface rust throughout. I told her, "Let me see what I can do with it."

I took a very small amount and put it directly on the MF towel for a test spot. Rubbing with some pressure, but nothing *too* aggressive, and results were immediate. So I went for it, and finished the job. When the owner went to pick up the car, she was delighted. She said I saved her a good chunk of change since she didn`t need to replace it anymore. Cool to hear. It wasn`t perfect, by any means. But it isn`t a show car. It`s actually more of a daily driver!

So here are some pics, and a 3 min video of the steps I took (AFTER I washed it).

Here`s what I started with

Here`s a close up

This shows the amount of product for the test spot

A 50/50 shot? YES!

Looking better!

And this is how I left it (I didn`t go nuts or all out because I wasn`t paid to do so! And hey, the owner was ecstatic, so it`s cool)

Thanks donbeezy thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Re: HD Metal Polish

Good job! I will need to try some once my Meguiars runs out.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

nice!

Post Thanks / Like

Thank you gentlemen

Post Thanks / Like

Nice review. Might have to try this.
    Only Z Best Detailing-Automotive Concours Detailing Services
    http://ozbdetailing.com
    https://www.facebook.com/ozbautodetailing
    Thanks JustJesus thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Way to go man. Great product
    Thanks JustJesus thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Nice review, great pics and video thanks a lot, i had actually eyeballed this product but since i still have a small tub of Mothers` i don`t really need it just yet but i will definitely pick this up as my next metal polish product!

Bumper looks awesome, what a difference.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Migue View Post
    Nice review, great pics and video thanks a lot, i had actually eyeballed this product but since i still have a small tub of Mothers` i don`t really need it just yet but i will definitely pick this up as my next metal polish product!

Bumper looks awesome, what a difference.
    thanks! They say pics are worth a thousand words Video only takes it that much further.

Man, I wish I had your control. I buy stuff even when I don`t need it. Well, in my defense, I`m still working on which products I`d like to keep
    Likes Stokdgs, Migue liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

I bought some but it got returned to amazon because of the mail box i had it sent to! Still once I have a new PO Box, Im ordering again. nice review, cant wait to try it.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by JustJesus View Post
    thanks! They say pics are worth a thousand words Video only takes it that much further.

Man, I wish I had your control. I buy stuff even when I don`t need it. Well, in my defense, I`m still working on which products I`d like to keep
    Do what I do,, Just take the stuff you dont want and give it to your father in law LOL
    Likes Stokdgs, Migue liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by beamerstrumpet View Post
    Do what I do,, Just take the stuff you dont want and give it to your father in law LOL
    LOL, not a bad idea. BUT, I`m not quite married *yet* (that`s coming real soon) AND the father-in-law-to-be is nonexistent. Good for Autopia, though. I tend to give out samples (or trade) on occasion.

I have a PO Box, but still have most of my "products" sent to the house. It ensures a higher chance of delivery. Go figure.

Post Thanks / Like

Whoa. That`s a hell of a clean up. Turned out great

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by JustJesus View Post

It`s not easy but I always remember the "keep it simple" saying, and I stick with what`s working for me at the moment. Once I encounter something that disappoints me about x product, I look for the next thing.

Post Thanks / Like

Lookin Good JustJesus!
    3D and HD Professional Detailing Products

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by House of Wax View Post
    Whoa. That`s a hell of a clean up. Turned out great
    Quote Originally Posted by Ben@3D View Post
    Lookin Good JustJesus!
    Thank you, guys.

Quote Originally Posted by Migue View Post
    It`s not easy but I always remember the "keep it simple" saying, and I stick with what`s working for me at the moment. Once I encounter something that disappoints me about x product, I look for the next thing.
    Ohhhhh, I did try. Honest, I did. But I have a bit of a...."problem." I`m getting better, though.

Thread Information