Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Am I using HD Polish the right way?

I didn`t read most of the replies, but here`s something from my personal notes collection, that I got from another thread on HD Polish. Mr. David F wrote the following (OH, and I used this technique last sunday and I was happy with the turnout):

**Take a fresh, clean pad of your choice. Again, if this pad hasn`t been completely cleaned prior to use, old product residue could still be in the pad and cause dust to fly everywhere. Very important to get this off on the right foot.

**(initial application/prime)Apply 4-5 small drops of product throughout the outer edges of the pad. This doesn`t mean the center and this doesn`t mean to use water, QD or anything else.

**On medium speed (speed 4 or 5 on a GG for example) work the product in a 2 by 2 foot area using slow arm speed and moderate downward pressure.

**Make 2 to 4 passes. A pass is considered 1 back and forth and 1 up and down movement.

**Wipe & inspect

**Clean pad with either a firm pad brush, compressed air and/or towel.

**For reapplication, apply 3-4 more drop on outer edge of pad.

**Swap to fresh pad after 2-3 full sized panels or when pad begins to be over-saturated with product.

[COLOR=#000000][FONT=Tahoma]NOTE:

*This product does not break down. You don`t need to work this product very long due to the non-diminishing abrasive technology. If you make too many passes, the oils will dry up and dust could result. If you don`t clean your pads after each pass session, dust could result.

*There isn`t a need, nor was this product designed to be used with water, QD or any other liquid to assist with this products performance.

*Keep your bottle closed after use. Store in a cool, dry environment.

*****IMPORTANT*****

*DO NOT overly prime pad.

When using HD Polishing compounds in sunny, outdoor or hot environments/surfaces:

1-Use a little more product

2-Work smaller sections/areas

3-Clean pads well/frequently

[COLOR=#383838][FONT=Verdana]4-Be mindful of long work times

Post Thanks / Like

Heh heh, I love David`s "...this doesn`t mean to [do something other than what I just said].."

Post Thanks / Like

^
    Yes. That cracked me up.

Allergic to One Product ZL1Mark's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Accumulator View Post
    Yes indeed!

If you don`t mind spending the $, I can`t think of any real downside to switching to the MF Cutting Disks. Plenty safe/etc., no worries there. In *some* instances I do better serious correction via the maroon foam cutting pads, but I suspect that`s just because I have more experience with those as opposed to the MF. The MF Cutting Disks (I`ve only used the Meguiar`s ones) really do work great and they run *cooler* than foam so they`re actually safer with regard to several potential "oops!"-factors.

The MF cutting discs definitely have much more potential to remove defects compared to the maroon discs.

Quote Originally Posted by JustJesus View Post
    I didn`t read most of the replies, but here`s something from my personal notes collection, that I got from another thread on HD Polish. Mr. David F wrote the following (OH, and I used this technique last sunday and I was happy with the turnout):

**Take a fresh, clean pad of your choice. Again, if this pad hasn`t been completely cleaned prior to use, old product residue could still be in the pad and cause dust to fly everywhere. Very important to get this off on the right foot.

**(initial application/prime)Apply 4-5 small drops of product throughout the outer edges of the pad. This doesn`t mean the center and this doesn`t mean to use water, QD or anything else.

**On medium speed (speed 4 or 5 on a GG for example) work the product in a 2 by 2 foot area using slow arm speed and moderate downward pressure.

**Make 2 to 4 passes. A pass is considered 1 back and forth and 1 up and down movement.

**Wipe & inspect

**Clean pad with either a firm pad brush, compressed air and/or towel.

**For reapplication, apply 3-4 more drop on outer edge of pad.

**Swap to fresh pad after 2-3 full sized panels or when pad begins to be over-saturated with product.

[COLOR=#000000][FONT=Tahoma]NOTE:

*This product does not break down. You don`t need to work this product very long due to the non-diminishing abrasive technology. If you make too many passes, the oils will dry up and dust could result. If you don`t clean your pads after each pass session, dust could result.

*There isn`t a need, nor was this product designed to be used with water, QD or any other liquid to assist with this products performance.

*Keep your bottle closed after use. Store in a cool, dry environment.

*****IMPORTANT*****

*DO NOT overly prime pad.

When using HD Polishing compounds in sunny, outdoor or hot environments/surfaces:

1-Use a little more product

2-Work smaller sections/areas

3-Clean pads well/frequently

[COLOR=#383838][FONT=Verdana]4-Be mindful of long work times
    Great advice.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ZL1Mark View Post
    The MF cutting discs definitely have much more potential to remove defects compared to the maroon discs...
    Oddly enough, I really have had a few rare instances where that was *not* the case and things went faster with the foam. Yeah, I know..who woulda thunk it?!?

Post Thanks / Like

Tried this today on a little area today and primed it as stated on the bottle and I got more dust with this polish versus using M205 or Ameridepth on the same panel in a different area. I used a new pad for each polish on these test areas. It did a decent job correcting minor to moderate love marks. I was hyped to use it but I need to play with using it a little more to see if I can be swayed away to use this as my primary polish.
    Competition Ready Team 1929 Bentley
    1999 Silvermist Metallic Pontiac Grand Prix GT
    2002 Arctic White Chevy Camaro SS

Post Thanks / Like

Guz--Follow David F`s directions listed above in post #19 and you should be fine--first section 4-5 pea sized drops on the out edge of the pad then 3-4 pea sized drops for following sections.
    "If your Personal Beliefs deny what`s objectively true about the world, then they`re more accurately called Personal Delusions" Neil deGrasse Tyson

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by pwaug View Post
    Guz--Follow David F`s directions listed above in post #19 and you should be fine--first section 4-5 pea sized drops on the out edge of the pad then 3-4 pea sized drops for following sections.

I did do that. I will try it again.
    Competition Ready Team 1929 Bentley
    1999 Silvermist Metallic Pontiac Grand Prix GT
    2002 Arctic White Chevy Camaro SS

Post Thanks / Like

Are HD polishes water based or oil based? Barry Theal in his video said to remove polishing oils and yet others say it`s water based which is it?

Post Thanks / Like

HD POLISH may dust a bit at times. However, it will consistently finish better than M205.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Rsurfer View Post
    Are HD polishes water based or oil based?

I don`t know, but....

Barry Theal in his video said to remove polishing oils and yet others say it`s water based which is it?
    Water-based polishes have "polishing oils" in them too. Some of the Meguiar`s Pure Polishes are even *paintable* but they still contain their Trade Secret Oils.

The solvent vs. water-based issue is separate from the polishing oils issue.

Post Thanks / Like

HD POLISH carrier is water based.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Guz View Post
    ... and I got more dust with this polish versus using M205 ..... I was hyped to use it but I need to play with using it a little more to see if I can be swayed away to use this as my primary polish.
    I had a crazy amount of dust my first time using it (cuz I didn`t have access to my notes above!) about a week ago. But I kept trying to remember what I read from David, and as I progressed throughout the quarter panel, it dusted less and less. I definitely need to keep experimenting with this to get it to where I like. M205, I pretty much have down (for my needs so far).

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by JustJesus View Post
    I had a crazy amount of dust my first time using it (cuz I didn`t have access to my notes above!) about a week ago. But I kept trying to remember what I read from David, and as I progressed throughout the quarter panel, it dusted less and less. I definitely need to keep experimenting with this to get it to where I like. M205, I pretty much have down (for my needs so far).
    I couldn`t care less about the dust. HD polish finishes much better than M205 on softer paints.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ZL1Mark View Post
    I couldn`t care less about the dust. HD polish finishes much better than M205 on softer paints.
    Same here, regarding dust.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information