Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: HD Adapt on a Black Dodge Challenger

ask the store whan they are going to have a free detail day,, you wil lget lots of help from the instructors an dother attendees.

Post Thanks / Like

Abrasive Isolation: Dual Action Polishing by Barry Theal

I watched this and many more. I only found 2 videos of HD Adapt being used. One is the promotional video by 3D products and the other from a guy using it on one spot with a Rubes to remove scratches on a Ford mustang. With limited information on a product, I wasn`t sure if I was using it correctly. Not much info in found in forums either. I`m going to go out and buy a new set of pads (foam) and play around with the products. To find that mix that works right for this car. This is a lot of work but it`s so satisfying that it becomes fun to do.

I thank everyone for all the help. I honestly did not expect to have so many knowledgeable people respond. I will take a series of pictures and post my progress. I have the flu right now so it`s going to be a few days or so before anything gets done.
    Likes Stokdgs liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Sdmonkey View Post
    I thank everyone for all the help. I honestly did not expect to have so many knowledgeable people respond. I will take a series of pictures and post my progress. I have the flu right now so it`s going to be a few days or so before anything gets done.
    Hope you get well soon. As beamerstrumpet said 3D/HD does host free learning days. Not sure when your store might have one but you can always ask them or come up north to either Fontana or the big one in Santa Clarita. I haven`t been to any though so I can`t comment on how they are. Sounds like you are doing alright so far though and I don`t remember if I said it earlier but welcome to Autopia!
    Likes Stokdgs liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Sdmonkey View Post
    Thanks for the info, I`ll be taking a trip to 3D products for the polish and new pads. My last trip there, they didn`t have any 5" pads. I may just have to order them or take a trip up to Poway for some Meg`s pads.
    if they are out the best deal is autoality for mix pack and shipping and they are fast. If the bug really bites it would be good to join their detailers club for better prices!

Post Thanks / Like

Sorry I haven`t been back to update my progress. I was and still am recovering from the flu. I bought some B&S pads and picked up some HD Polish. I have had zero success with the polish. It dusts like crazy and instantly on me every time I try to use it. But I also learned it`s not me or the polishes fault all on its own. These brand new pads when tapped together make little dust clouds. I`m so tired of of these issues. So I went back to using the Adapt since it didn`t dust or doesn`t as much as the polish. The polish just makes more work for me. I tried green pads but still didn`t take out all the scratches. Used a white pad and all is well but takes two to three times over on each panel. At this point I`m gonna buy some MF pads and hopefully call it a day on buying pads. I worked in the hood extensively and finally have it an an acceptable point. It`s not perfect but it`s not a show car either.

I put 2 coats of Meguiars #21 on hood and just need to finish up the rest of the car. The hood was the worst but the swirls on the rest of the car may put up a fight. I`m very disappointed in these pads and both the polish and Adapt. They are not cheap and they didn`t perform as expected. I spoke with the guys at the store and bothered them on every problem I am having. I think I should have just bought the Meguiars MF kit with D300 and fishing wax. It would have been cheaper than the bottle of Adapt, Polish and all these pads. Live and learn I guess. At this point I will use up what I have and move on to other products. I have read and watched everything I could find on using HD polish and some report the exact problems I am having. The picture Im gonna post of the polish shows the dust and I had stop in the middle of my first pass on the panel due to the mess being made. Took longer to clean up the dust than the polish.

I have learned you need to run the HF DA at sped 6 to get any kind of cut. It`s just not gonna happen on speed 4 or 5. I`d also buy a different brand of pad since they dust all on there own. The HF pads may not be very good but they didn`t have dust in them. The Adapt may perform better with a MF pad and I`m hoping it does. I have an air compressor so cleaning them should be easy.

Post Thanks / Like

The Polish

Post Thanks / Like

Finished with two coats of Meguiars #21

Post Thanks / Like

Here is the final picture. HD Adapt with white pad for the hood and green pad for the rest of the car. HD Polish with blue pad to remove the holograms left by the 1st step. Meguiars #21 sealant as the lsp. It`s been a long process and had a few issues. Some small and some big. Glade it`s done and looking right. It`s not perfect but it`s a daily driver so it`s not really important for it to be. It looks like it is from a few feet away thou.

Post Thanks / Like

How are you using HD Polish? Polisher, speed,product usage, pad priming, etc...

I find that not doing the Kevin Brown Method works better with HD Polish, just 4-5 drops initially then 2-3 after that for each section avoids dust, usually speed 5 with Buff and Shine pads and a Griot`s.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mnehls86 View Post
    Hope you get well soon. As beamerstrumpet said 3D/HD does host free learning days. Not sure when your store might have one but you can always ask them or come up north to either Fontana or the big one in Santa Clarita. I haven`t been to any though so I can`t comment on how they are. Sounds like you are doing alright so far though and I don`t remember if I said it earlier but welcome to Autopia!
    The next San Diego Seminar is actually coming up on the 16th.

Here is the flyer for it if anyone is interested.

Attached Images Attached Images
    3D and HD Professional Detailing Products

Post Thanks / Like

"holograms left by the 1st step" Don`t understand this--are you using a rotary polisher??
    "If your Personal Beliefs deny what`s objectively true about the world, then they`re more accurately called Personal Delusions" Neil deGrasse Tyson

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ec90 View Post
    How are you using HD Polish? Polisher, speed,product usage, pad priming, etc...

I find that not doing the Kevin Brown Method works better with HD Polish, just 4-5 drops initially then 2-3 after that for each section avoids dust, usually speed 5 with Buff and Shine pads and a Griot`s.
    I did exactly that on speed 5 but I get dust every time. I think this happens more than people say it does.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ben@3D View Post
    The next San Diego Seminar is actually coming up on the 16th.

Here is the flyer for it if anyone is interested.

Hopefully I will be there. Maybe they can show me what I did wrong.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by pwaug View Post
    "holograms left by the 1st step" Don`t understand this--are you using a rotary polisher??
    I don`t know what else to call it. Out in the sun you could see strange patterns on the side of the car. It only showed up as you moved around the car in the sun light. Not like the holograms a rotary machine does. Not even close to anything like that.

I used the HD Polish with a blue pad on speed 4 and it removed it easily.

Post Thanks / Like

I have never had dust with HD and that was in 102 degrees. I think you may be pressing way to had causing what you calle dholograms, or you got some debree in your pad. did you clean it out after each section. Using adapt, with the green pad,, i only use th weight of the machine, no pressure at all and it comes out ready for lsp. REMEMBER WITH HD LESS IS MORE.
    Likes Thomas Dekany liked this post

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information