Photo
- - - - -

Tire application -- Aerospace 303 Protectant?

• Please log in to reply
29 replies to this topic

#1 Neofate

Neofate

• Members
  • 243 posts

Posted 01 April 2008 - 03:10 AM

I am racking up on Tire formula's.. None to my satisfaction.

Anything from Armorall, to Meguires Gel -- To some aerospace 303 protectant on its way.

First,.. will aerospace be a good substitute for a Tire dressing? Or is it too bland and won't last long, nor be very good looking?

If it can be used on tires and not sling and look decent (while lasting a decent while) --I'll use it.

The Meg. Ultimate Shine Gel -- Slings very badly despite how long you let it dry (that was my latest attempt).

I have just about found every product to do exactly what I want, the tire dressing is one of the last --

I know as everything on this forum, tire dressings are opinionated -- But

If I want something that has a good bit of shine/gloss.. Has good durability - -and doesn't sling if let dry for an hour or more.. What is a good product to order or buy?

Multiple recommendations is fine...

I'm simply trying to complete my arsenal of products. :)

Thanks

#2 steelwind101

steelwind101

• Members
  • 1,404 posts

Posted 01 April 2008 - 03:20 AM

Hello!

I think alot of people get sling b/c they apply thick layers of products on to unprepped tyres. If you want a wet looker product then get wetter look product, not smear more on!

That said, i highly recommend WOLFGANG BLACK DIAMOND TIRE GEL! Its easy to apply and has a very bright black look with a low gloss appeal. It isnt the super matt finish that alot of the more water based products leave and it certantly lasts a while. As it diminishes through rain etc it wont acutally just wash away which i think is nice.

ALso, a bit expensive but Sonus Trim and Tire is really really nice. Its more matt then the WG stuff so it leaves a black, not all that bright with a hint of gloss look. It too lasts will last a couple of weeks in the London rain for me.

Geoff

#3 ptaylor_9849

ptaylor_9849

• Members
  • 445 posts

Posted 01 April 2008 - 03:28 AM

303 is a great product. But not on tires. The elements will wear it away quickly, especially rain. Stick with a product that is designed for tires.

Patrick

#4 Neofate

Neofate

• Members
  • 243 posts

Posted 01 April 2008 - 03:42 AM

Hello!

I think alot of people get sling b/c they apply thick layers of products on to unprepped tyres. If you want a wet looker product then get wetter look product, not smear more on!
Geoff

Thanks for the recommendations. But I do prep my tires, and I do not simply 'smear more on', thank you :)

Though this is why I asked, I didnt' think 303 was a good choice for tires but would be nice for an all in one product -- So many products to cover a car,.. so much money :)

I've got it all covered now but the 'ultimate' tire product. Hrmm.. guess I research , can't afford to try many expensive products.

I don't like the gels, they don't apply well. I like easy application, a wet look and zero sling. If a product is allowed to dry I don't think it should sling if it is any good.

I do get if you apply more and more for a glossier look, it has nothing to adhere to -- But that isn't what I'm doing, besides the Gel I'm using looks the same from the first application to the 5th if you so choose.

I'll take a look at these products,..

Again thank you.

#5 bwalker25

bwalker25

• Members
  • 1,124 posts

Posted 01 April 2008 - 03:45 AM

I use top of the line grape dressing, nice glossy look, let first layer dry and apply a 2nd time, really looks good and I can't see it sling on my silver focus...

I dont apply heavy layers, just thin ones.....

#6 jshillin

jshillin

• Members
  • 930 posts

Posted 01 April 2008 - 03:58 AM

Check out Opti-Bond.
- Jason

#7 Cheetoh

Cheetoh

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 126 posts

Posted 01 April 2008 - 03:22 PM

Wolfgang Black Diamond Tire Gel..

X2!!

#8 SuperBee364

SuperBee364

• Members
  • 4,563 posts

Posted 01 April 2008 - 03:34 PM

If you don't like a shiny finish, Zaino Z16 is a very nice tire dressing. Doesn't sling, looks even, nice black matte finish.

#9 BlueLibby04

BlueLibby04

• Members
  • 1,098 posts

Posted 01 April 2008 - 05:54 PM

Hello!

I agree. Ive never had a meguiars tire shine sling. Ive never had any brand of tire shine sling for that matter. :woot:
2004 Jeep liberty w/ stuff.

#10 Chris Thomas

Chris Thomas

• Members
  • 1,266 posts

Posted 01 April 2008 - 05:58 PM

Shoot your tires with a spray gun and you'll be happy with just about all of them. Thin even coats will make mediocre dressings look good.

logo2_ultimate_car_care_thumb.png

#11 NSXTASY

NSXTASY

• Members
  • 1,032 posts

Posted 01 April 2008 - 06:17 PM

There are a TON of these threads.

Sling is a symptom of improper application more so than particular product.

Ensuring that the dressing is applied to a dry tire, thinly, excess removed/avoided from tread/sidewalls.

The rules to wax application apply to dressing application.

#12 Dave1

Dave1

• Members
  • 552 posts

Posted 01 April 2008 - 06:26 PM

Sling is a symptom of improper application more so than particular product.

Yes......I agree.

Clean rubber and just enough product left on the surface after a wipe down will keep any slinging issues to a minimum....

#13 BlkTac05

BlkTac05

• Members
  • 1,281 posts

Posted 02 April 2008 - 03:39 AM

WG Black Diamond Tire Gel, AA, Mother's Reflections Advanced Tire Care or my favorite......CG New Look Trim Gel.
Boston Rob :spot
Addicted to Detailing Products :getdown
2010 Metallic Sivler Honda Accord Crosstour EX-L

#14 Neofate

Neofate

• Members
  • 243 posts

Posted 02 April 2008 - 04:18 AM

Thanks for the recommendations.

I ordered some Optimum Tire Shine (New and improved) -- In a spray bottle, $11.99.

I will see how that works.

The sling I was speaking of 'could' have been something on the road .. as it was a dark color, not clear. But the clear gel can easily get blackened on the tire I'm sure.

I put on one application, and it dried for nearly 2 days -- So it wasn't improper application, if it was .. it isn't a product for me because I don't need something that sensitive =)

Main reason is it doesn't apply very easily, very blotchy,.. and I don't like the look or durability. It isn't awful, but it isn't hard to make rubber look good initially, so that isn't saying much.

Again, we'll see how the Optimum Tire Shine does.

Anyone used it?

#15 KnuckleBuckett

KnuckleBuckett

• Members
  • 1,067 posts

Posted 02 April 2008 - 05:47 AM

Ultima Tire and Trim 3 coats. Let it dry completely between coats. The third coat can be replaced by the final shine of your choice. That'l give you a solid six week sweet spot.
Good driving and good listening!!

#16 Chris Thomas

Chris Thomas

• Members
  • 1,266 posts

Posted 02 April 2008 - 07:54 AM

Thanks for the recommendations.

I ordered some Optimum Tire Shine (New and improved) -- In a spray bottle, $11.99.

I will see how that works.

The sling I was speaking of 'could' have been something on the road .. as it was a dark color, not clear. But the clear gel can easily get blackened on the tire I'm sure.

I put on one application, and it dried for nearly 2 days -- So it wasn't improper application, if it was .. it isn't a product for me because I don't need something that sensitive =)

Main reason is it doesn't apply very easily, very blotchy,.. and I don't like the look or durability. It isn't awful, but it isn't hard to make rubber look good initially, so that isn't saying much.

Again, we'll see how the Optimum Tire Shine does.

Anyone used it?

I like it a lot, it's not wet looking. It's my go to on higher end cars that just need to look clean and new and not "dressed"

logo2_ultimate_car_care_thumb.png

#17 backwoods_lex

backwoods_lex

• Members
  • 722 posts

Posted 02 April 2008 - 09:02 AM

I have used 303 on tires and I am not a big fan of it. It seems to me that interior protects (303, armor all, et al) provide a less than attractive look that is different from dedicated tire gels and sprays. Just my two cents.

I haven't tried a lot of gels, but meguiar's high endurance (purple) is my favorite. It goes on well, last for weeks, doesn't sling, and really has that professional look that you can't get out of a can.

#18 Alfisti

Alfisti

Detailing Nazi

• Members
  • 3,375 posts

Posted 02 April 2008 - 09:11 AM

This may surprise you!

Bought it on a clearance special out of curiosity. Now it's my goto tyre dressing. Great gloss, good durability, water-based, doesn't brown, easy to apply (it suggests to spray and walk away, but I find best to use a tyre swipe), no need to wipe after application, no sling after drying, affordable.

Just great.

Posted Image
Paul Marmarinos
Flawless Prestige Detailing

I was on Autopia before the stars were torn down. :secret

#19 Denzil

Denzil

• Members
  • 1,949 posts

Posted 02 April 2008 - 09:15 AM

Personally I've had great success with PB's Bold N Bright dressing.
Devil Pad
Professional Automotive Detailing

#20 Saintlysins

Saintlysins

• Members
  • 312 posts

Posted 02 April 2008 - 10:54 AM

There are a lot of similar threads running at the same time :grinno:
Check my thread too NEOFATE – I think a lot of our answers will be the same - yet I'm sure they'll be different as well :nixweiss
Let's keep each other posted as to what works best and work this like a team.
SaintlySins

06 - Ridgeline RTL
09 - E-350 - Full AMG Pkg
11 - Turbo "S" Cabriolet, Custom Options

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users