Suburban (hunting truck), Accord, Cayenne

• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#1 Scottwax

Scottwax

• Members
  • 33,502 posts

Posted 21 January 2007 - 09:54 PM

1996 Chevy Suburban. Customer bought it for use down at his ranch in west Texas during hunting season. I waxed it last fall and even though it had a lot of halo and rotary swirls, he said to hold off until after hunting season was over and I could get the swirls and the soon to be aquired west Texas racing stripes (scratches from Mesquite trees) off all at the same time.

I had the Suburban to detail, along with his son's Accord and he wanted the Cayenne washed, polished and waxed (which he has me do 5-6 times a year!) so I am glad my son came out of detailing retirement to help me today. Still took us from 9:30 am to a little after 6 pm (with a 30 minute lunch) to finish all three.

The passenger side was really scratched up but I was able to get all but the worst two scratches out and the two baddies aren't nearly as visible. The lighting in his garage is great but I couldn't get direct enough lighting on the sides for good before and afters. I was able to with the hood though. I ended up using a 50/50 mix of the old Optimum Compound and Hyper Compound. I had about half a bottle of each left and my understanding is the new version of Optimum Compound is about as aggressive as the old version of Hyper Compound. This way, I can use up older product and get nearly the cut of the new product and not have to let anything sit. :)

I used the blend along with green Cyclo polishing pads. I tried out the Cyclo orange cutting pads too but I really didn't see any difference.

Here I have polished the right side of the hood using OC/OHC and green Cyclo pads. The left side is untouched and you can see how hazy, swirled, etc it looks:

Posted Image

This is after also polishing the right side with the above combo and then going over both sides with Optimum Poli-Seal using a white LC polishing pad via PC. The middle of the hood didn't come out perfect but the haziness is gone along with the majority of swirls and defects. Very noticable improvement in depth too. Came better than I expected, to be honest. It was really hammered. :nervous2:

Posted Image

I waxed with my 80/20 blend of Meguiars #16 and FK's Pink Wax. As you can see, it was near sunset when we finished!

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

No interior shots, it really wasn't bad to start with, mostly just dusty.

www.scottwax.com
I test for Optimum, Clearkote, Meguiars

Authorized Opti-Coat Pro installer

#2 Scottwax

Scottwax

• Members
  • 33,502 posts

Posted 21 January 2007 - 10:00 PM

The Accord and Cayenne both were polished with Optimum Poli-Seal using an LC polishing pad and after just polishing, when I told my son to wax the Cayenne he looked at me like I was nuts. He said it looked great already. I told him Gary (the owner) likes me to finish with a carnauba on his black Cayenne. He just shrugged and said okay.

Anyway, both were waxed with my 80/20 blend of Meguiars #16 and FK's Pink Wax.

Posted Image

Posted Image

I know I have posted the Cayenne numerous times but I thought these sunset shots were a lot better than the last time since the sun hadn't actually set when I took these...without noticing the huge tree behind the Cayenne in the last shot. Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

www.scottwax.com

#3 Dave1

Dave1

• Members
  • 552 posts

Posted 21 January 2007 - 10:30 PM

Posted Image

Very wet looking........Excellent job......:xyxthumbs

#4 35TH LE

35TH LE

• Members
  • 520 posts

Posted 21 January 2007 - 10:43 PM

Nice job man.... my mom had that same Suburban except in red. Was a nice truck.. too bad we sold it.

That Cayenne... what a gorgeous SUV!

Solid work as usual. :)
-2002 35th Anniversary SS Camaro Limited Edition-
-651rwhp/567rwtq @ 6400rpm.
-D1SC Procharger-Custom Cam-FMIC-6.0L Heads-9psi-

#5 Danforz

Danforz

• Members
  • 1,053 posts

Posted 21 January 2007 - 10:53 PM

Wow, beautiful work!

#6 Charisma

Charisma

• Members
  • 293 posts

Posted 22 January 2007 - 05:24 AM

Cayenne is beautiful; as always, your work is immaculate!

#7 topnotch

topnotch

• Validating
  • 677 posts

Posted 22 January 2007 - 05:53 AM

Your work is always on another level!

#8 ScubaStevo

ScubaStevo

• Members
  • 2,265 posts

Posted 22 January 2007 - 06:21 AM

Thats some great work Scott. The tree was bugging me so I fixed it.

Posted Image
Carvista Inc. - Asper School of Business

#9 Yal

Yal

• Members
  • 848 posts

Posted 22 January 2007 - 07:31 AM

LOL :D Photoshop to the rescue ;)

Nice work Scottwax :cool:

#10 tom p.

tom p.

• Members
  • 5,323 posts
  • LocationBoston

Posted 22 January 2007 - 07:43 AM

Scott, the Suburban looks amazing. We expect nothing less!! I really enjoy seeing the serious recovery projects :)

#11 Justin Murphy

Justin Murphy

• Members
  • 2,024 posts

Posted 22 January 2007 - 07:50 AM

You had told me about that Suburban Scott. You did wonders on it! I hate that you got to work in that horrible garage!!!
LOL!

They all look pristine. PoliSeal is an amazing product.

www.clean4udetailing.com 706-633-9149
Clean4U Detailing, Glass Cleaning, and Power Washing Services

#12 3Dog

3Dog

• Members
  • 1,132 posts

Posted 22 January 2007 - 07:59 AM

Great work again Scott.
Curious? The hood on the Suburban looked like a candidate for Pink Moose.....still something you are using?
Ric
3Dog Garage
HOGtailing is my business

#13 Dave KG

Dave KG

• Members
  • 1,154 posts

Posted 22 January 2007 - 12:11 PM

As always, excellent work. :)
"A thing of beauty is a joy for ever: Its loveliness increases; it will never pass into nothingness; .... "

#14 Wes Man

Wes Man

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 103 posts

Posted 22 January 2007 - 02:17 PM

the cayenne and accord were excellent, but the suburban just brings a tear to my eye. i figure even though it is a hunting truck, the owner takes fairly good care of it. perfection!!:2thumbs:

#15 1 Clean WS6

1 Clean WS6

• Members
  • 2,383 posts

Posted 22 January 2007 - 02:59 PM

Just beautiful Scott!!! :bow
Mike

My WS6

#16 Scottwax

Scottwax

• Members
  • 33,502 posts

Posted 22 January 2007 - 03:38 PM

Great work again Scott.
Curious? The hood on the Suburban looked like a candidate for Pink Moose.....still something you are using?

I still use Pink Moose. I wanted some extra protection (both OPS and 16/PW) since I probably won't wax it again until after next hunting season. He won't be driving it much, maybe 2-3 times a month though.

Steve-thanks! I need to learn how to do that! :)

Wes Man-too bad the previous owner neglected the finish, this is the first real love I think the paint has seen in at least a few years. Mechanically, it seems very sound; my customer says it runs better than any other Suburban he's had (this is his 4th, the other 3 were all newer and he was the original owner).

He is just very good about taking care of how his vehicles look, even if he just uses them for hunting. He used to have a Jeep Wrangler years ago that he'd bring back from his ranch in January and I'd have to remove the carpeting completely and hose it out!

www.scottwax.com

#17 3Dog

3Dog

• Members
  • 1,132 posts

Posted 22 January 2007 - 03:52 PM

I still have some custom blended 4 oz bottles available for 59.95
Posted Image

:laugh:
Ric
3Dog Garage
HOGtailing is my business

#18 sftempest66

sftempest66

• Members
  • 506 posts

Posted 22 January 2007 - 03:57 PM

Flawless as always, incredible work, can you come down to Florida and do my Mach for me? I'd love to see the difference between a mediocre detailer like myself and a professional like you!!!
2003 Oxford White Mach 1
Mods: JLT RAI, DiabloSport Predator, Drag radials,MagnaFlow O/R X, Magnaflow Catback
12.82 @ 105.8 :up

#19 smprince1

smprince1

• Members
  • 1,668 posts

Posted 22 January 2007 - 04:50 PM

Scottwax,
What strikes me is the chrome grill pieces and trim around the headlights and front bumper on the Suburban. Please describe your process to if you would.
Thanks.

#20 Nuke33

Nuke33

• Members
  • 425 posts

Posted 22 January 2007 - 05:39 PM

Looks amazing like always

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users