polydimethylsiloxane...

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 wannafbody

wannafbody

• Members
  • 7,019 posts

Posted 31 October 2006 - 04:24 PM

Polydimethylsiloxane is the main ingredient in dielectric silicone grease. It's also an ingredient used in many paint sealants although i'm sure the solvents used are different. I'm not sure I like the thought of smearing grease on a car. Isn't that what you are really doing when you apply a siloxane sealant?
2000 WS6 TA NBM

#2 Setec Astronomy

Setec Astronomy

• Members
  • 10,397 posts

Posted 31 October 2006 - 05:35 PM

What makes you think the polydimethylsiloxane is the "greasy" part of the grease?
New & Improved! "Truly filled with inconceivable hatred" --South Florida Review
What little I know about detailing I learned from David Fermani.

#3 brianshaeffer

brianshaeffer

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 36 posts

Posted 31 October 2006 - 05:38 PM

That's the main ingredient in Astroshield, one of my favorites back in the 1970's. I've still never found anything else that beads water as well.

#4 Eliot Ness

Eliot Ness

• Members
  • 3,410 posts

Posted 31 October 2006 - 05:42 PM

If you don't like the idea of smearing it on your car, how do you feel about eating/drinking it?

http://www.codexalim...ils.html?id=205

#5 AL-53

AL-53

• Members
  • 1,460 posts

Posted 31 October 2006 - 06:28 PM

siloxane is by no means a grease..it is a additive to it..to be used as a non conductive agent...

Silicone resins are more heavily cross-linked polymer networks that are formed by the introduction of a predominance of tri- and tetra-functional monomers, such as CH3SiCl3. The physical properties of the finished silicone resin can be tailored to suit many applications by varying the ratio of branched and linear siloxanes and also the functional groups attached to the silicon.

Siloxane additives are highly effective internal and external lubricants. These plastic additives offer a number of significant processing advantages and surface improvements such as scratch and abrasion resistance while reducing friction.

Unlike conventional silicone-based materials, they are ultra high molecular weight polymers that overcome the handling problems and surface adhesion difficulties that have prevented the widespread use of lower molecular weight forms of plastic additives in the industry.

Al
2004 Ford Ranger FXII
Bright Red
My Pitbull rides shotgun
DuraGloss..More Shine..Less Money

#6 PedroDaGr8

PedroDaGr8

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 96 posts

Posted 31 October 2006 - 06:44 PM

Polydimethylsiloxane is the main ingredient in dielectric silicone grease. It's also an ingredient used in many paint sealants although i'm sure the solvents used are different. I'm not sure I like the thought of smearing grease on a car. Isn't that what you are really doing when you apply a siloxane sealant?

What do you think wax is, a variant on grease. Oils, waxes, greases, etc. Are all related in composition, usually carachterized by long alkyl chains of a varying nature. These long alkyl chains are what give waxes there hydrophobixity (water hating nature) basically causing the water to bead.

#7 BigJimZ28

BigJimZ28

• Members
  • 3,586 posts

Posted 31 October 2006 - 06:54 PM

dielectric grease is awesome on weather strips
if your car has t-tops, you will not find anything better!

#8 rjstaaf

rjstaaf

• Members
  • 1,796 posts

Posted 31 October 2006 - 07:02 PM

Just what everyone needs, more silicone paranoia... :o
Bob
1997 Honda VFR750F
2001 Laser Red Mustang GT Coupe
Click Here for pics of my Toys

#9 lawrencea

lawrencea

• Members
  • 1,713 posts

Posted 01 November 2006 - 06:53 AM

Silicone is your friend !

#10 foxtrapper

foxtrapper

• Members
  • 485 posts

Posted 01 November 2006 - 07:40 AM

A classic flaming example of jumping to conclusions. Unfounded, incorrectly arrived at by incomplete knowledge. PDMS's are not greases. They are a polymer. Pretty cool ones as they are solid in the short term, and a slow moving liquid in the long term.

They are in foods, sillyputty, caulks, breast implants, various finishes and paints, lubes, etc.

#11 StumpyDetailing

StumpyDetailing

• Members
  • 596 posts

Posted 01 November 2006 - 08:41 AM

Selective Diagnosis. :wow:

#12 abbeysdad

abbeysdad

• Members
  • 823 posts

Posted 01 November 2006 - 10:15 AM

If not for attracting dust, I'd bet money that a WOWO silicone oil would be great on paint! Matter of fact, excluding the acrylics, aren't many polymer sealants silicone based?
So what's the real point here?.... "don't want no dang axle grease on my paint"?

BTW, love the little mini chemistry channel discussion, but I hated chemistry (Sorry MS. Fry, it wasn't you but I just glazed over as soon as I saw the periodic table!)

#13 wannafbody

wannafbody

• Members
  • 7,019 posts

Posted 01 November 2006 - 04:10 PM

Dielectric compound is some pretty good stuff. I certainly don't think it's harmful to smear it all over your paint but I'm not sure how beneficial it would be either. As I said in the first post- the chemicals and solvents it's blended with probably change it's charactaristics.
2000 WS6 TA NBM

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users