swirls caused after i polished and waxed

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Dr. Jones

Dr. Jones

• Members
  • 508 posts

Posted 17 March 2002 - 03:45 PM

I have a black car, that was in pretty bad shape, so a few days ago i started the full treatment. I dawned it and clayed it untill it was squeaky clean. Then i pulled it into the garage and did a FI-II with the yellow pad, then 2x SMR with the white. I had some deep scratches, but all my swirls were gone. In the light all you could see were those scratches... 400% improvment. Then i used BF polish which i was also very impressed with. Some of the imperfections in the hood were quickly covered up and it was looking great. So i then put on 6 coats of the BF paint protector. I couldn't notice too much of a difference, but everyone else said it looked much much better. But now i can see that it doesnt'. At night it looks really great, and when its in the shade. But as soon as the sun comes out...so do the problems.

On the side of my car that's facing the sun i have what look like are 3d swirl marks. They move in strange patterns as you walk down the side. upon closer inspection, i noticed lots and lots of tiny scratches going down the side, where the light would reflect and refract causing the problem. I tried QD (both BFs and Pinnacle's) and that didn't help at all. All that work, the scratches were gone. Then sometime after i put down the PC they came back. i used YoSteve's MF towels for the whole process. I did go over it today with the cali car duster, but i wouldn't think that would cause that many scratches. My car feels smooth... but looks horrible. I'm affraid i'll have to dawn it all off and start over. The same thing happend after the first wash the last time i waxed it (meguires stuff). I don't know what i'm doing wrong. Has anyone faced this problem? I might try layering some souveren over my BF to see if that covers them up. But i feel they will just be back. I believe the problem lies in the bf itself and not down to the clear coat (or so i would hope) might it be that my MF towels are too drity? Any advice of any sort will be greatly appreciated.
Dr. Jones
'00 FBP Civic SI

#2 The Lizard

The Lizard

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 73 posts

Posted 17 March 2002 - 04:26 PM

Last year I ran into a similar problem. It could be your clay. What brand is it and did you keep it well lubricated when using it? Did you rub it hard? (should just glide it over the surface and let it do the work) Did you clean off all the residue? Did you polish over the problem areas? If you did not, I bet it is the clay. Even if you did, the clay can leave some nasty little scratches that require some time to get out.

After each step, dawn, claying, polishing, whatever.....try to get the vehicle exposed to sunlight and view it from every angle, especially at twilight when the sun is going down. It seems to show every defect in your paint then. If you do this, you will spot these problems and hopefully correct them before you put product over them.

If you did scratch from the clay, then these scratches are below everything else and you may have to polish them out. I used to use Meguairs clay....no more- that stuff leaves streaks and scratches. You can't see these defects while claying in the shade. You must bring vehicle into the sunlight after doing it to check your work. Whatever you do, don't clay in the sun!!!! I now use clay from Griots Garage, much cleaner, no streaks, etc.

See what others have to say, but I bet the clay is the culprit....

#3 Dr. Jones

Dr. Jones

• Members
  • 508 posts

Posted 17 March 2002 - 05:30 PM

i used the pinacle clay, which i think did a pretty good job. Even if it did leave scratches i did a lot of SMR and other stuff after i clayed... i would think those would of came out. The small scratches i see now are the kind that the SMR got out when i used it. I'm fairly sure it was something i did after i did SMR with the PC.
Dr. Jones
'00 FBP Civic SI

#4 The Lizard

The Lizard

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 73 posts

Posted 17 March 2002 - 06:10 PM

I never trust anything until I get to see it in the most revealing light. That's why I check stuff after each step in the light.

Do either of those polishes contain fillers? It is possible they covered up some problems for a short time. If I am not mistaken, the Blackfire's first coat has cleaners in it. Such cleaners would dissolve fillers from the polish, and any mistakes that were covered would be seen again.

I'm not an expert. but this seems logical given the steps you described.

#5 The Lizard

The Lizard

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 73 posts

Posted 17 March 2002 - 07:03 PM

I may be right, check out these posts. I was doing a search for Blackfire as I am interested in it. Thought of you when I read these:

SJ Sharkie
Apprentice

Curiuous about the use of both SMR and Meguiar's #9 Swirl Remover 2.0. Do you need to wash the car after using either of them with sealant type polishes? I notice that SMR comes in light and dark and that makes me think fillers and snooping on carcareonline about #9 “Polishes out all minor paint blemishes and feeds the paint with rich nutrients to bring out vibrant color and brilliance while extending paint life”. Wondering if there could be bonding issues with products like Klasse, Zaino & Blackfire with what's left behind.

SJ Sharkie

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

03-14-2002 12:33 AM

Malibu
Apprentice

Welcome to the forums SJ!

Yes, there can be bonding problems with Zaino, Klasse, etc. and SMR/#9. It is recommended that you wash the car after polishing and before applying a sealant to remove any oils/residue that the polish left behind.

peace

Mike

#6 YoSteve

YoSteve

• Members
  • 2,285 posts

Posted 17 March 2002 - 08:29 PM

What did you use to apply the BF?

#7 Dr. Jones

Dr. Jones

• Members
  • 508 posts

Posted 17 March 2002 - 08:51 PM

i applied it with a green MF applicator that came with the kit from CMA... buffed it off with a green MF towell. The direction i applied and buffed in appear to be the same as the scratches... they aren't swirls like in a full circle... but rather large arcs that run across the body... they have a bottom and top but no sides... if that makes sense. I'll try and get pics.
Dr. Jones
'00 FBP Civic SI

#8 Jason

Jason

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts

Posted 18 March 2002 - 02:15 PM

I'm no pro but it sure sounds like the MF towels you used caused the scratches. Maybe try a different brand.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users