How to get gasoline smell out of carpet

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 series1

series1

• Members
  • 930 posts

Posted 30 January 2005 - 10:17 AM

Hey guys I was just wondering if any of you know how to get a gasoline smell out of carpets. My mom filled up a gallon of gasoline for our snowblower and when she hit a bump some of it came out on the carpet. I have tried cleaning the carpets with oxy mix and it didn't do much. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

#2 Scottwax

Scottwax

• Members
  • 33,306 posts

Posted 30 January 2005 - 10:23 AM

A lighted match would completely remove the smell, but then you'd have other problems.

You are probably going to need to use an extractor or at least a wet vac to pull the stain out, then treat the area with a deodorizer.
www.scottwax.com
I test for Optimum, Clearkote, Meguiars

#3 RedondoV6

RedondoV6

• Members
  • 915 posts

Posted 30 January 2005 - 11:11 AM

Remember gas is an oil based product, try cleaning with diluted APC and use white vinegar in the final rinse/extraction. This should take care of most of the smell. If the smell is still strong after doing this, lift the carpet the gas may have soaked through the carpet and wet a larger area than the original spill.
Later.....

Mike

#4 Ed Hartman

Ed Hartman

• Members
  • 172 posts

Posted 30 January 2005 - 11:23 AM

Mix 1/3 cup of white household vinegar and 2/3 cup of water and apply

#5 CutNAction

CutNAction

• Members
  • 402 posts

Posted 30 January 2005 - 12:07 PM

Originally posted by Scottwax
A lighted match would completely remove the smell, but then you'd have other problems.

:LOLOL
1999 Grand Cherokee Limited V8 4X4 and I'm loving the power!

#6 TOGWT

TOGWT

• Members
  • 5,291 posts

Posted 31 January 2005 - 05:07 AM

Petroleum soils - substances that do not contain water, nor are they miscible, these soil types include, motor oils, and crease and road tar, and require a solvent type cleaner.

Clean the carpet (extractor) paying special attention to the carpet / mats backing material.

To eliminate the musty smell use an odour-neutralizing mineral made from porous volcanic rock (Elite®). This type of product absorbs odours, eliminates stale musty air, and will reduce any noxious oil or gasoline fumes. It is non-toxic and when it stops working can be re-charged by warming in a microwave or in the sun, when it stops working can be re-charged by warming in a microwave or in the sun. Or lightly spray with an air neutralising disinfectant (Lysol Neutra Air®) that is non-toxic, non-allergenic, fast acting without a cover up scent or an offensive perfume smell
Detailing Art; where applicable Chemistry meets Aesthetics See Autopia Detailing Wiki

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users