Photo
- - - - -

What's worse, touchless or soft cloth automatic car washes?

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 BillNorth

BillNorth

• Members
  • 1,012 posts

Posted 06 December 2001 - 07:07 AM

As the weather get's colder, the hose in my garage will freeze, thus I'll be unable to hand wash. So, I'll have to visit an automatic car wash. Some of the gas stations in TO operate touchless(100% touchless. Nobody dries it with a dirty rag. The car is dried with blowing air), while others use soft cloth, and blowing air to dry it.

I'm afraid if I go touchless, the wash solution will be so harsh that it will strip my klasse. And the water jets may push dirt into my clear.

If I go soft cloth, then the wash solution may not be as harsh and my klasse may not get stripped. BUT, the "soft cloths" may cause swirls in my finish.

What do you think? If you had to choose one of the above, which would you choose?

TIA,
Bill.

#2 YoSteve

YoSteve

• Members
  • 2,285 posts

Posted 06 December 2001 - 07:14 AM

sorry bill D!, none of the above! I would either 1) wait for a break in the weather (yeah, I know, fat chance sometimes), 2) go to a bay that has water running and bring your own soap (it's not like it'll be crowded and there's a guy there to yell at you in the freezing cold) 3) run water from inside your house 4) use the winter washing method in your garage (I use a water cooler full of really warm water and pour them into buckets) or 5) just have some beers and pretend your car is clean and know that at least it's protected by Klasse.

Oh, if I had to pick one, i'd be the touchless, but if your sheet/beading starts to fail, i'd think about the other methods mentioned above HTH-Steve

#3 Guess My Name

Guess My Name

• Members
  • 3,223 posts

Posted 06 December 2001 - 07:20 AM

If you want a swirl free finish then wash by hand.

You could rig up a thingy to connect your washing machines hot and cold water up to your hose so you could regulate the temp so it doesn't freeze on your car. At least then you could rinse the car of crud.

Whats worse swirls & possible scratches or a dirty car???
Neat Vehicle Freak

My Website Which needs some detailing as well.....
My Truck Album
2002 Chevy Avalanche

#4 banzaitoyota

banzaitoyota

• Members
  • 156 posts

Posted 06 December 2001 - 07:28 AM

Move South where it rarely freezes

#5 YoSteve

YoSteve

• Members
  • 2,285 posts

Posted 06 December 2001 - 07:45 AM

banzaitoyota, he'd have to move out of the country ;)

#6 waxman

waxman

• Members
  • 807 posts

Posted 06 December 2001 - 07:56 AM

It just snowed in Texas, so like YoSteve said you would have to move out of the country.

#7 BillNorth

BillNorth

• Members
  • 1,012 posts

Posted 06 December 2001 - 08:06 AM

I ain't movin' anywhere. I love Toronto. It's the BEST!!!!

#8 Guess My Name

Guess My Name

• Members
  • 3,223 posts

Posted 06 December 2001 - 08:58 AM

IT rarely snows here in New Orleans so come on down Ya'll. I will have a bunch of parades for ya if you come 12 February 2002!
Neat Vehicle Freak

My Website Which needs some detailing as well.....
My Truck Album
2002 Chevy Avalanche

#9 Intermezzo

Intermezzo

• Members
  • 2,962 posts

Posted 06 December 2001 - 09:20 AM

BillNorth,

I've never tried this but you might want to consider using a product that Scottwax mentioned in an earlier thread. I'm thinking about trying it sometime in the future.

I think it's called all quick and easy wash or something like that. The link is as follows:

www.protectall.com/QuickEasy.htm

This is a quote from Scottwax:

NO RINSE APPLICATION
Use ½ ounce (1 capful) of Quick & Easy Wash in a bucket with two quarts water for an average size car. Use one ounce per gallon for larger vehicles. Quick & Easy Wash safely loosens and lifts dirt eliminating the need to rinse with water. Wash a section at a time then just chamois, towel or squeegee dry.

NO Hose! NO Suds! NO Mess!

Quick & Easy Wash is non-abrasive. Remove oxidation, stains and heavy grime with a strong cleaner or polishing compound before using Quick & Easy Wash for the first time. Protect All FIBERGLASS Oxidation Remover & Color Restorer and heavy-duty Protect All Black Streak Cleaner and Degreaser are perfect for tackling oxidation, stains and heavy grime.

WASH ANYWHERE
Wash any vehicle wherever it is parked. This is especially important where water use is restricted. Because you don’t need to rinse you can wash in your garage, apartment parking stall, campgrounds, parks, marinas and airplane tiedowns. Quick & Easy Wash is great for home and office, too.

The part about oxidation, heavy grime, etc applies to only the filthiest cars. The product will work on those types of cars, but you will get some streaking, which polishing and waxing will remove-the car will be clean, just not look that great until you polish and wax it.

99% of the cars you do will easily be cleaned by Quick and Easy wash. I may have to use a hose on a car 4-5 times a year, and usually because it is a 4 x 4 that is just back from a deer lease.

I have one customer who has a 1995 Lexus LS 400 and I have been using it on his car since it was brand new-and it still looks brand new. This product is nothing like Dry Wash. It is not a spray. You soap up a car just like a normal car soap, but you just don't have to rinse it. Believe me, I would never recommend any product I have not thoroughly tested myself-and I would consider 8 years a very stringent test.

In any event, as long as a car is reasonably maintained and even occaisionally waxed, you will have no problems quickly washing it with Quick and Easy. It is great in the winter, because I can use warm water so my hands don't get as cold.

#10 YoSteve

YoSteve

• Members
  • 2,285 posts

Posted 06 December 2001 - 09:24 AM

yeah, winter in LA ;) when i spray a hose on my car it instantly freezes, haha, it sounds cool, but i'd have trouble keeping my selft from rinsing, I'd probably rinse no matter what :D But it would be nice to have something to spray on your car when you reach wherever you are going.

You could bring it on roadtrips and stuff.

#11 Autopia Expert

Autopia Expert

• Members
  • 7,455 posts

Posted 06 December 2001 - 09:43 AM

BillNorth,

IMHO, I think a good touchless carwash is okay for winter use, and far better than not washing.

In fact, much to the shock of most, I use my local touchless carwash to abuse paint sealants. My BMW 330i still looks great, even after 50+ times through the HP washer.

I always follow with a good QD and MT wipe down.

So stay in CA, enjoy the beauty, and find a good HP touchless for winter use. It's far better than allowing the road salts to stay on your car.

db

#12 BillNorth

BillNorth

• Members
  • 1,012 posts

Posted 06 December 2001 - 10:51 AM

Originally posted by DavidB
BillNorth,

IMHO, I think a good touchless carwash is okay for winter use, and far better than not washing.

In fact, much to the shock of most, I use my local touchless carwash to abuse paint sealants. My BMW 330i still looks great, even after 50+ times through the HP washer.

I always follow with a good QD and MT wipe down.

So stay in CA, enjoy the beauty, and find a good HP touchless for winter use. It's far better than allowing the road salts to stay on your car.

db

David,

The salt is what worries me the most. We use quite a bit of it here in Toronto. In your experience, how well have you found Klasse to hold up against touchless washes? How many washes will it take to strip off my Klasse? So far I only have 1 layer on the Bimmer.

Thanks David. :)

#13 Airball50

Airball50

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 59 posts

Posted 06 December 2001 - 11:25 AM

Bill,

If you opt to go to a soft cloth place, perhaps you could bring your own clean MTs for them to dry your car off with.....might get funny looks but probably be better off. Personally, I use a 100% touchless and just add a coat of SG more often than most. Seems to hold up fine to this rather untrained eye.
2000 Summit White Tahoe
"So I got that goin' for me, which is nice." - Carl Spackler, Caddyshack

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users