Photo
- - - - -

can someone list off the good paint brands and good clearcoat brands?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Ng Luder

Ng Luder

• Members
  • 318 posts

Posted 14 November 2001 - 03:22 PM

just want to be informed on what paints brands r good and what r not and same thing for clear coats so i will know what im really paying for when i repaint my hood.:up

also, on a similar topic, any certain technical questions i should ask the shop when i ask them for an estimate on painting the hood? so i will know if they do the right steps and stuff.

thanks in advnace!

#2 Deckard

Deckard

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 131 posts

Posted 14 November 2001 - 03:35 PM

According to Ron K "...there are now only four major OEM paint suppliers, since DuPont bought SpiesHecker, Horst etc, and PPG bought out ICI, BASF is still standing alone, and SherwinWilliams is making headway in the OEM arena."

Deckard
"Sushi. That's what my ex-wife called me. Cold fish."
Blade Runner

#3 Ng Luder

Ng Luder

• Members
  • 318 posts

Posted 14 November 2001 - 04:54 PM

thanks, how about clearcoats? r the just the same as paints then? any specific kind which are better than others?

#4 Ron Ketcham

Ron Ketcham

• Members
  • 3,101 posts

Posted 14 November 2001 - 05:13 PM

Since the vehicle manufacturers from time to time, have vehicles which are under warranty and require some refinishing, Ford, GM, DCX had all the major paint supplier/manufacturers of refinish materials submit product for testing.

Toyota has since done the same.

These companies materials had to meet servere test criteria.

All the mentioned early meet the specs, the BASF refinish line is Grazurite.

Now, some painters or bodyshop have predjudices towards one paint line or another.

Just like here on products, however all the major met the test, are approved for long term endurance, etc.

Keep in mind the base (color coat) is not a real issue, but rather the clearcoat. It must be applied according to the manufacturers directions. If a painter brags about how he has figured out a better way than the company who makes the material says,--

RUN FAST, CLEAR AWAY FROM HIM!! HE IS A HACK!!!!

Ketch
:eek:
"Logic dictates I have been at this detailing thing way too many years!":wink1:

#5 Deckard

Deckard

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 131 posts

Posted 14 November 2001 - 05:23 PM

Hi Ron, a quick question,

I was reading in one of your posts commenting on paints on German cars (from May 2001) where you were explaining a new clearcoat method (etch resistance + mar/scratch resistance) which the paint manufacturers are working on for the future. And you added that you can't share any info, because this being a secret issue.

Any news on this ?

Greetings

Deckard
"Sushi. That's what my ex-wife called me. Cold fish."
Blade Runner

#6 Ron Ketcham

Ron Ketcham

• Members
  • 3,101 posts

Posted 14 November 2001 - 05:29 PM

All I can release at this time is that the first American builds will be the upper models of GM and DCX.

As far as the European builds, several are in negotiation to obtain it, but since it is manufacturered by an American paint supplier, they are reluctant to make the change at this time.

Same with the Japanese vehicles that are built there, although three of the imports with plants here, are supposed to make the change in late 2002.

Ketch
:up
"Logic dictates I have been at this detailing thing way too many years!":wink1:

#7 Ng Luder

Ng Luder

• Members
  • 318 posts

Posted 15 November 2001 - 09:02 PM

back to my second question that was kinda forgotten, can anyone tell me any certain things to ask the shop when i go there to get an estimate? anything important i should find out and know about that normal Joes wont ask their shops? anything that is just simply important to know that will give me an idea how good that shop really is?

any input is appreciated:up

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users