• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

#1 GoodnClean

GoodnClean

• Members
  • 1,798 posts

Posted 22 November 2003 - 11:19 PM

Hey y'all.

I think we have a winner. I want something more durable than my EX for harsh winter use, but I hate to give up the look of my Poorboys EX to use something like Klasse or Zaino (tried Klasse, wasn't happy with the way it looked on the paint) So, I think Collinite may be the answer. Now the question is which one?

I want maximum durability and the best preservation of the warm carnuaba look I can get. I'll be Poorboys PWC'ing, EXx2 or 3, then the Collinite. Which should I use, 476 or 915?

Thanks as always :bounce
Steve
'13 Lexus GS350 Liquid Platinum/Flaxen Interior
'11 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo X Natural Green Pearl/Black Interior

#2 tom p.

tom p.

• Members
  • 5,321 posts
  • LocationBoston

Posted 23 November 2003 - 03:33 AM

Had you considered sticking with the Insulator Wax. It's far easier to use than the other two products you mention.

Cars:  bringing people together

#3 Spilchy

Spilchy

• Members
  • 3,932 posts

Posted 23 November 2003 - 06:13 AM

I agree with Tom P in the last post. Plus, there is no difference between the two you mentioned so you can stick with the chaper 476.

But, give the Insulator Wax a try. I enjoy it. Very easy to apply and wipe off and does not stain trim. The look is excellent and the durability is unsurpassed. Try it on your clean rims too.

#4 Accumulator

Accumulator

• Members
  • 35,897 posts

Posted 23 November 2003 - 07:34 AM

GoodnClean- If you'd rather use a paste, *I* would get the 476S. It's worked out VERY well for me, and *I* didn't find it hard to apply at all. I've applied/removed it by and AND by random orbital with equally good results. It didn't stain MY trim, but I wipe it off before it's set up too long. Not exactly the Souveran-style wipe-on-wipe-off, but I don't let it really DRY on there either.
The most interesting man in all of Autopia Land. (<--I didn't enter that!)

#5 GoodnClean

GoodnClean

• Members
  • 1,798 posts

Posted 23 November 2003 - 11:40 AM

Doesn't really matter to me paste vs. liquid. I would stick with the IW but with searching and reading around the forums the general consensus is that the 476 is up to twice as durable as the IW. Over the winter the roads here get super nasty (they way oversalt, and after the first snow, you wont see clean roads again until April) and it will be washed in a high pressure touchless carwashed, the Poorboys S&W'ed then dried. Thats why the 476 seems so attractive.

I did read around and see the general consensus being that the 915 was just more expensive so now its a decision between the 476 and the IW. Do you all think I'll get the same durability out of the IW? I supposed the IW could be applied with the PC. Apparently the 476 can be too (news to me)!

Thanks guys!
Steve

#6 Quickstrike

Quickstrike

• Members
  • 313 posts

Posted 23 November 2003 - 12:08 PM

yeah I am wondering the same thing.. 476 or IW for the ultimate in durability and beading..

I read some posts that Spilchy applies IW first and then layers 476 on top of it.

Also dr427 said in tests that 476 looks better after washing it.. compared to IW..

Should I get both and layer them on top of each other or just get one of them? Price is not a concern, just want the ultimate durability and the famous beading Collinite products are known for :)
If you base all upon experience, all is limited to your experience.

#7 dr427

dr427

• Members
  • 255 posts

Posted 23 November 2003 - 02:13 PM

I wouldn't spend the $$$ on 915, but that is me. I WOULD however take the extra step and go with 476 over IW in this situation. It will perform better than IW and is worthwhile if you are willing to apply by hand. Some use a putty knife and apply with their PC. I have myself have not tried this technique, but apparently it works.

Despite what some say here, 476 is easy to work with as long as you do a panel at a time. (Whereas IW can be applied over the whole car then removed.)

Don't get me wrong I love and use them both, but for a good harsh winter coat I would go with 476. But then again I would go with IW if it is too dam cold and you have to apply outside! :D OR your winters aren't that harsh or are short.
David

2008 MINI Clubman S
2013 Mazda CX-5 Grand Touring

#8 GoodnClean

GoodnClean

• Members
  • 1,798 posts

Posted 23 November 2003 - 02:46 PM

Hell with the weather like its been, wont be any problems applying it outside LOL.

So you reccomend applying to an entire panel and removing and not letting the product dry. Sort of like working with S100 then?

Looks like I'll go with the 476. Thanks everyone!
Steve

#9 maesal

maesal

• Members
  • 623 posts

Posted 05 April 2006 - 11:17 PM

But the Insulator wax will remove the sealant, no? I don't know it this liquid wax has cleaning properties like PwC...
I'm using now in my black metallic car EX-P topped with Nattys.
Thanks.
Regards.

#10 wannafbody

wannafbody

• Members
  • 7,022 posts

Posted 06 April 2006 - 04:46 AM

IW has no cleaners-its won't remove anything
2000 WS6 TA NBM

#11 dr427

dr427

• Members
  • 255 posts

Posted 06 April 2006 - 12:08 PM

IW has no cleaners-its won't remove anything

Exactly. :usa
David

2008 MINI Clubman S
2013 Mazda CX-5 Grand Touring

#12 Accumulator

Accumulator

• Members
  • 35,897 posts

Posted 06 April 2006 - 02:12 PM

So you reccomend applying to an entire panel and removing and not letting the product dry. Sort of like working with S100 then?..

I apply my waxes (845IW, 476S, #16, Souveran, and a few others) to the whole vehicle. No problems buffing them off as long as I don't apply them goofy-thick and it's not that bad even then.

Last two cars I did were with 476S. Each time I did the whole car and then buffed it off. No problems.

Just as an experiment, on the MPV's winter wheels I let some 476S set up for over a day just to see what would happen. It buffed right off easily but it did leave white residue in the stamped-in lettering. The residue is still there, would've been an incredible pain to get it all out (I did clean out a few spots just to see how hard it'd be).

There are a few waxes that really *can* be tough if you leave them on too long (e.g., Victoria, according to both Bence and the guys who make it). But all the waxes listed abouve are ones that I'd *heard* you can't leave on- they all worked fine when I actually tried it for myself.

#13 maesal

maesal

• Members
  • 623 posts

Posted 06 April 2006 - 08:15 PM

I apply my waxes (845IW, 476S, #16, Souveran, and a few others) to the whole vehicle. No problems buffing them off as long as I don't apply them goofy-thick and it's not that bad even then.

Last two cars I did were with 476S. Each time I did the whole car and then buffed it off. No problems.

Just as an experiment, on the MPV's winter wheels I let some 476S set up for over a day just to see what would happen. It buffed right off easily but it did leave white residue in the stamped-in lettering. The residue is still there, would've been an incredible pain to get it all out (I did clean out a few spots just to see how hard it'd be).

There are a few waxes that really *can* be tough if you leave them on too long (e.g., Victoria, according to both Bence and the guys who make it). But all the waxes listed abouve are ones that I'd *heard* you can't leave on- they all worked fine when I actually tried it for myself.

My god, you've the info that I want...
I'm looking for a wax with nice good looking and durable. I don't know what to try: 845, 476 or #16. I'll use EX-P as sealant, then this wax anf after them, Nattys. I think that Nattys looking is better than 845, 476, #16 looking, this is the reason of putting a (or more) coat of Nattys over the durable wax.
My car is black.
Thanks !!

#14 Accumulator

Accumulator

• Members
  • 35,897 posts

Posted 07 April 2006 - 06:31 AM

maesal- For what you're planning I'd go with either the 845 or the 476S (much as I like #16 that's not as good for this IMO).

See if this makes sense: I'd recommend you use the 845 but I myself would use the 476S. I wonder if you'd think "this looks crappy, even with the Natty's" :( if you use the 476S. You might think the same thing with the 845 (doubt it though) but at least you'd know that you chose the better looking of the two.

Just a FWIW, when I gave away my Volvo, I wanted to give it one last nice detail. I applied two coats of 476S and while it was well protected I wanted it to look better if possible for a few photos. I did a spit-shine (using Speed Shine) application of two coats of Souveran. Yeah! That really did improve the look, more than I'd expected. So adding a beauty wax over Collinite *does* work in my experience.

#15 maesal

maesal

• Members
  • 623 posts

Posted 07 April 2006 - 11:47 AM

maesal- For what you're planning I'd go with either the 845 or the 476S (much as I like #16 that's not as good for this IMO).

See if this makes sense: I'd recommend you use the 845 but I myself would use the 476S. I wonder if you'd think "this looks crappy, even with the Natty's" :( if you use the 476S. You might think the same thing with the 845 (doubt it though) but at least you'd know that you chose the better looking of the two.

Just a FWIW, when I gave away my Volvo, I wanted to give it one last nice detail. I applied two coats of 476S and while it was well protected I wanted it to look better if possible for a few photos. I did a spit-shine (using Speed Shine) application of two coats of Souveran. Yeah! That really did improve the look, more than I'd expected. So adding a beauty wax over Collinite *does* work in my experience.

Then, 845 and 476 have the same durability moreless, but 476 improves more the look. I'm right?

#16 EdLancer

EdLancer

• Members
  • 886 posts

Posted 07 April 2006 - 03:24 PM

Then, 845 and 476 have the same durability moreless, but 476 improves more the look. I'm right?

Not really, 845IW is more wet looking, but 476S lasts longer and is normally used as a winter wax.
2003 Rio Red Mitsubishi Lancer
2006 Mystic Blue Mitsubishi Lancer Sportsback

#17 bluemoon

bluemoon

• Members
  • 179 posts

Posted 07 April 2006 - 05:21 PM

I used 476s for the first time this fall on our black CRV. I thought I would give up alot in the looks department, but wanted to see if this was a durable wax for winter. To my eyes, the car looks about the same as when I have #16 on it ( a look that I really like) plus it has gone 4 months and counting in a North Dakota winter. Also, this is not a difficult wax to use. Put it on super thin and it wipes right off. I wax the entire car and then come back and wipe off. Now that spring is on the way I can say that I didn't give up anything in the looks department to my eyes and gained incredable durability. Every fall my cars will get some 476s from now on. :)
Don't take life too seriously, no one gets out alive.

#18 maesal

maesal

• Members
  • 623 posts

Posted 08 April 2006 - 12:52 AM

Not really, 845IW is more wet looking, but 476S lasts longer and is normally used as a winter wax.

Then, my Collinite wax us 845IW.
Thanks !! :xyxthumbs

#19 dogma

dogma

• Members
  • 759 posts

Posted 08 April 2006 - 02:16 AM

I had used Collinite for years after it was recommended by a couple of body shops In the past I had spoken to the people at Collinite and they told me that 476 is thier best and that the 915 was made to compete with Zymol . They said its the same as 476 only with some fruit or coconut fragrance. In my experiance with the Collinite line I found 845IW to give a great shine in fact I used it 2-3 times a week on a black Monte Carlo SS. The 476 was hard to work with but IMO gave a better shine and definately better protection. I also used the 73SS which is a great 1 step product
It cleans, glazes and shine all in one. It came in paste or liquid they also had a leather/vinyl wax that
came in a bottle like 845, I also remember a white liquid cleaner that I think was for non clear coat paint. I still have all this in my wax cabinet. As a matter of fact I just looked and I have a paste wax from Boyd Covington called Ultra Violet that was awesome .

#20 Accumulator

Accumulator

• Members
  • 35,897 posts

Posted 08 April 2006 - 06:51 AM

Yeah, sorry wasn't more clear about that.

bluemoon- The 476S/#16 comparison worked the other way on my wife's silver Audi; the 476S was a real step down compared to how it looks with #16, we were both surprised. This last winter I stuck with #16 on that one, just because it looked so much better. Guess different applications just turn out differently!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users