2 replies to this topic

#1 tenzing

tenzing

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 16 June 2003 - 11:33 AM

Hi There,

I've been lurking for quite a while and finally have a question for the collective.

I recently removed the engine and transmission from my speedster replica.

The engine and transmission are aluminum.

I was wondering what cleaner should be used to clean the exterior.

I have powerwashed the transmission, and used a citrus based engine cleaner, but there is still black 'sludge' that won't come off.

I also want to polish the case when it is clean. What procedure is recommended.

Thanks,

Tenzin

#2 mark cummins

mark cummins

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 31 posts

Posted 16 June 2003 - 03:28 PM

Try using a Small Wire Brush..With a Degreaser...Simple Green will work...Good Results!

If you are thinking about Polishing The Engine / Transmission cases Your best bet would be to have the engine and trans torn down..Labor Intensive!

I Did A Full Restoration (Pan Off) on a 1960 Rag Top For My Son
And Did The Engine and Transmission cases with walnut shells to go back to the OE finish . looked like new

#3 tenzing

tenzing

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 17 June 2003 - 08:53 AM

Hi Mark,

I have tried TSP and got the initial gunk off. I thought there may be a tried and true method or product that will do the job, without excessive elbow grease... ;->

I have heard about using kerosene, or diesel fuel, but wasn't sure about how it would work on an aluminum case or if it may even discolour it.

I don't want to totally disassemble the engine or tranny. So I am thinking of thoroughly cleaning it and then painting the transmission and engine case.

What paint is recomended?

Thanks for your help,

Tenzin

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users