Winshield Wiper Chatter...?

• Please log in to reply
39 replies to this topic

#1 AMP01

AMP01

• Members
  • 757 posts

Posted 20 December 2002 - 09:19 AM

What can be done to correct or stop windshield wiper chatter? I was driving in the rain last night and my wipers were chattering away like mad!

Any suggestions from you all knowing Autopians?

Posted Image
Cheers,
My Black 7 Series
Perfection Lies In The Details!
AMP01

#2 BradE

BradE

• Members
  • 4,474 posts

Posted 20 December 2002 - 09:21 AM

Clay your windshield, that always helps. :xyxthumbs

Also, how old are your blades? They might need replaced.
Taking my signature to it's MAXIMUM POTENTIAL

#3 Intermezzo

Intermezzo

• Members
  • 2,962 posts

Posted 20 December 2002 - 12:49 PM

Had the same problem with my car. In my case, it was because I applied sealant to the windshield and 15 minutes after starting the wipers, you could see clumps of product that had been pushed around by the wipers and bunched together where the blades were skipping. Product was also bunching up where the wiper blades switched directions. I clayed, applied lighter fluid and applied Aquapel and haven't had any problems since then (been almost a year now).

#4 4DSC

4DSC

• Members
  • 5,842 posts

Posted 20 December 2002 - 12:57 PM

I have Aquapel on my brand-new windsheild and I am experiencing more "almost chattering" behaviour than when I used Rain-Ecch because Aquapel isn't as slick. I think my problem is that I've worn away the moly coating on my wiper blades from excessively cleaning them and mistaking the coating for dirt.

I've heard of people using a vinyl dressing like 303 on the blades, but I haven't tried this and don't know if it would cause streaking or make a mess of things.... :nixweiss

I should probably just replace the blades. :P
Brian

#5 Mindflux

Mindflux

• Members
  • 1,835 posts

Posted 20 December 2002 - 01:02 PM

4DSC,

I use Stoner's Invisible Glass on my wiper blades. No problems there :D I got that tip from their webpage.
Mixing is for hacks!
Quit lurking! You know who I mean. :LOLOL

#6 Aurora40

Aurora40

• Members
  • 2,326 posts

Posted 20 December 2002 - 01:56 PM

I use #40 to clean off wiper blades. I've never noticed any streaking. Just don't use much and buff it off. Sometimes it will leave a little line where the blades rest, though.

I recently applied AIO and SG to the windshield on my wife's car just to see what it would do. It's been chattering ever since. I've recently tried clay and MPPC on it, so it was in fairly good shape. This weekend maybe I'll remove it and give Rain-X a try again. The times I've tried it on her car, she had crappy wipers. They seemed to streak more with the Rain-X, but maybe it was the wipers fault. I want to like Rain-X, so I'm gonna give it another chance.

#7 2wheelsx2

2wheelsx2

• Members
  • 2,207 posts

Posted 20 December 2002 - 02:06 PM

I clean my blades with 20/20, and then apply a vinyl dressing. No chatter. :xyxthumbs
Gary

MF is an acronym only safe to use on Autopia.
"Dawn is for dishes, leave it in the kitchen." - Anthony Orosco

#8 jermar

jermar

• Members
  • 239 posts

Posted 20 December 2002 - 02:12 PM

I had the same problem, and also used Aquapel. Solved only when I switched to PIAA silicone blades. Not cheap, but worth it.

#9 AlBoston

AlBoston

• Members
  • 461 posts

Posted 20 December 2002 - 02:19 PM

ya i got some major chattering after putting on aquapel. Took it to lexus, they changed the wipers for free. Wipes clear and quiet ever since (2 months ago). :D
2008 Mercedes-Benz CLS550 - Zaino'd

#10 4DSC

4DSC

• Members
  • 5,842 posts

Posted 20 December 2002 - 02:52 PM

Originally posted by Mindflux
4DSC,

I use Stoner's Invisible Glass on my wiper blades. No problems there :D I got that tip from their webpage.

Riiiight.... you just want me to start using SIG so you can laugh maniacally when I start having problems! :P

Thanks, good tips everyone! :xyxthumbs
Brian

#11 Mindflux

Mindflux

• Members
  • 1,835 posts

Posted 20 December 2002 - 03:18 PM

Originally posted by 4DSC
Riiiight.... you just want me to start using SIG so you can laugh maniacally when I start having problems! :P

Thanks, good tips everyone! :xyxthumbs

You got me! :o

Actually, I've been having better luck with SIG lately. I dunno what the deal is.

:bounce
Mixing is for hacks!
Quit lurking! You know who I mean. :LOLOL

#12 F1Crazy

F1Crazy

• Members
  • 412 posts

Posted 20 December 2002 - 03:30 PM

My car is 1 month old and I applied Aquapel as soon as I got it and wipers now chatter like crazy. I hate that and I start thinking about puting Rain-X on top of Aquapel to stop it. I tried 303 and window cleaners on the wipers but nothing helps.:nixweiss

#13 edschwab1

edschwab1

• Members
  • 1,260 posts

Posted 20 December 2002 - 04:25 PM

Originally posted by Aurora40
I recently applied AIO and SG to the windshield on my wife's car just to see what it would do. It's been chattering ever since. I've recently tried clay and MPPC on it, so it was in fairly good shape.

Will AIO hurt wiper blades, make the silicone or rubber detoriate faster?

Also, I applied AIO to my windshield with poor results no wiper chatter, but terrible streaking.

Eric
Have you AIO'd today?

#14 tkr128

tkr128

• Members
  • 757 posts

Posted 20 December 2002 - 05:26 PM

I had this problem too! I applied Z to the windshield and the chatter stopped for about 10 wipes and started up again. The blades were only 2 weeks old. I replaced them with another pair and they've been fine through 3 rainstorms.

2014 Lexus IS350

2003 Toyota 4Runner SR5 V6

#15 Mmmph

Mmmph

• Members
  • 495 posts

Posted 20 December 2002 - 05:43 PM

SIG is great on the blades...Just note that whatever you use to apply it will turn black. I use pieces of old t-shirts cut into small squares.

I also add P21S Windshield Wash Booster to my reservoir, and I've never had a clearer, streak-free, chatterless windshield like this.

An unbeatable combo ;)
My car is cleaner than yours!

#16 theveed

theveed

• Members
  • 1,154 posts

Posted 21 December 2002 - 01:40 AM

change wiper blades and polish off the glass to remove grime.. .works everytime... :)

#17 Likecars

Likecars

• Members
  • 571 posts

Posted 21 December 2002 - 08:57 AM

303 blade wipes.:up Stopped mine.

#18 Guess My Name

Guess My Name

• Members
  • 3,223 posts

Posted 23 December 2002 - 07:11 AM

The blades chatter because there is something on the glass.....

Clean the glass with NAPTHA to remove any chemicals you may have on there such as rain x etc etc... then try your blades...still chatter....then your blades are hard and need to be replaced..(which should be done once a year)

Most chattering and smearing occurs from a chemical on the glass.......May that chemical be wax, sealant, rain x, zaino, touchless wash soaps, etc etc etc.....

I find that the Zaino wash will smear on the glass......I tried it in my washer bottle.....
Neat Vehicle Freak

My Website Which needs some detailing as well.....
My Truck Album
2002 Chevy Avalanche

#19 NickATRvtec

NickATRvtec

• Members
  • 390 posts

Posted 23 December 2002 - 07:32 AM

Has anyone tried the Eagle One version of Rain-X etc?

Posted Image

#20 frontier

frontier

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts

Posted 23 December 2002 - 07:46 AM

:bounce try the piaa wiper blades. They come with a special cleaner/protectant that makes them work awesome. I have a little story. I had them on my new frontier and i never told my wife I had put them on my truck. Well she decided to do me a favor and take my car to get a oil change and check up. Well they ended changing my oil and my refills. Two week later is raining like hell here in florida and i sure saw the 50 dollar difference. Thank god they just came out with just the refill and there are just a few bucks.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users