Review: HydrO2: Touch-less Silica Sealant

• Please log in to reply
40 replies to this topic

#1 CEE DOG

CEE DOG

• Members
  • 658 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 05:05 PM

Review: CarPro HydrO2: Touch-less Silica Sealant (Concentrate)

I'm days late with what I promised and sincerely apologize to all. It wasn't for lack of trying! I hope you enjoy the review. Please don't miss the video links as I don't see a way to make them show up large embedded in here. :)

Product Claims:

Introducing the incredibly easy to use, effective, and revolutionary true wipe-less silica sealant! CarPro HydrO2 is formulated with Hydrophilic glass fibers, silicon polymers, and fluoropolymers and can be applied to all vehicle surfaces! Paint, glass, plastic, convertible tops, wheels, calipers, and wheel wells are all easily within reach with HydrO2. HydrO2 was specifically formulated to save time and therefore money for all the Car Pros and enthusiasts alike. This new innovative coat forms an ultra-water-repellent coating and is applied by simply spraying and then rinsing off with only water!

A simple spray and rinse application saves time, and produces a brilliant protected shine that is incredibly easy to maintain. HydrO2 reacts chemically with water contact and transforms from hydrophilic to hydrophobic. The pressure from spraying with water accelerates the bonding of HydrO2 to the surface immediately creating a hydrophobic layer.

HydrO2 is climate and temperature stable, and is an extremely effective long lasting water repellent that is resistant to nearly all acids, alkaline solutions, and solvents while also offering significant UV protection for 1 to 3 months.

Love….. this picture from Sunday morning…. Just a little tease

Posted Image

Introduction:

When I heard HydrO2 was coming I was very excited and immediately had many questions. What’s the durability? What’s the cost per vehicle? What surfaces will it bond to? etc, etc. This review will attempt to answer these and other questions as well, although some will come via updates and further testing.

Product Details:

01.- Packaging: Plastic bottle / Measuring Cap / Cool label
2A.- Directions: Easy as pie
2B.- Dilution Ratio: 75% water / 25% HydrO2
03.- Viscosity: Thin, Slippery (Foams a little when shaken)
04.- Color: Green
05.- Scent: Mild
06.- Current Price: 1.7 oz. (50ml) = $ 8.99
07.- Current Price: 3.38 oz. (100ml) = $15.99
08.- Current Price: 16.9 oz. (500ml) = $54.99
09.- Current Price: 33.8 oz. (1000ml) = $99.99
10 - Current Price: 1.3 Gal. (5000ml) Inquire at CarPro-US.com
11.-Manufacturer: CarPro
12.-Made in: Korea

Directions & New Tips:

1.-In shaded location or shop wash your vehicle and remove any dirt from the surfaces. (Use car shampoos without wax or gloss enhancers.) Surface must be well cleaned from soap residue.
2.- Apply HydrO2 to wet surface only. (If applying to dry surfaces must be spray and wipe on small sections.)
3.-Dilute 1 part HydrO2 to 3 parts water (measure cap supplied 30ml), and shake. We recommend a spray bottle for fast and easy application with minimal use of product.
4.-Spray fine even mist of diluted HydrO2 on one third of vehicle (for instance roof, hood, windshield, and lid).
5.-Immediately rinse well with strong water pressure or using a pressure washer to produce physical shock and create a well formed coat.
6.-Repeat steps 4 & 5 on one side of the vehicle and then repeat 4 & 5 on the final untreated side.
7.-Finish by "flood rinsing" the vehicle without a spray nozzle to push all the water off from top down.
8.-Dry any remaining water by blowing off or with a clean microfiber waffle weave towel.

Environmental Conditions at time of testing:

Temperature: 70F - 75F
Humidity: 32% - 40%

Product: (500ml shown)

Posted Image

Nozzle

Posted Image

Product Cap

Posted Image

Posted Image

Additional tools used in testing application methods:

Spray Bottle
HVLP

First Subject –The Blue Saturn SL 1999 - Testing

The condition of the paint was not good. No polish, clay device, or Iron X has been used in a very long time and it’s probably been months since its last wash. Lsp varies across surfaces and most areas in differing states of decay and affects from various tests. The windshield and drivers side glass however had Flyby30 applied to them approximately 8 weeks ago and are in great shape. (Spoiler: Hydro loves glass ☺)

Preparation:

One of the most important questions surrounding any lsp is, “How do I prepare the surface?” Testing the answer to this was 1/2 of the main focus on my first day of testing. While we all know we would first like to decontaminate and polish a vehicle before adding protection I think many of you also see HydrO2 as a special corner of the detailing market where you would like to simply wash the car and quickly add a layer of protection that outshines and stays cleaner than other products while protcting the finish from the environment.

Typically with a vehicle in this condition we would (at a bare minimum) use Iron x or Polyshave before application but this was/is to be our “worst case” test vehicle where we will attempt to learn first the best method of application, second how much differing soaps used in the wash stage have an affect on the coating, and third if leftover wax affects the coating.

I began by washing different sections with 3 different soaps including Ultima Paint Guard Wash (Driver rear), CarPro Iron X Snow Soap (Passenger Rear), and Dawn (Front end). All surfaces were rinsed very well. On the dawn sections the mitt was used during the rinse cycles as well to remove any remaining soap residue. This is to see long term what affect anything in the soaps have on bonding. As you may have noticed CarPro recommends not using gloss enhancing shampoos to clean the vehicle before application of Hydro. This is a standard request when dealing with silica products as the oils and fillers in traditional products can lower the durability of a silica sealant.

Posted Image

Posted Image

On to the part I had been anticipating! I had 4 choices but narrowed them down to HVLP and Sky Line chemical resistant spray bottle. First up was…

Posted Image

Posted Image

HVLP Application:

I decided to test the amount needed via HVLP for my first go with HydrO2 so I selected my smallest gun (1.0 needle) and poured 1 oz. (30ml) HydrO2 into the canister followed by 3 oz. of distilled water. I was able to apply to the full vehicle in less than 2 minutes of application time with a light mist. I did however find applying to the entire vehicle in one shot rather than 2 to 4 offers the possibility of streaks. Splitting it up (as I’ll show on the Mustang later) mitigates the streaking threat. Next I sprayed the surface hard with the hose as directed and was done a few minutes later and ready to dry the vehicle. (Video link further down)

Posted Image

Spray Bottle Manual Application:

This time around I expected to need 50ml or more using a spray bottle. Avi had told me HydrO2 takes much less than that per car but I was sure it would take more. Im thrilled to say I was oh so wrong! After pouring a 50ml sample of HydrO2 into the spray bottle I added 150ml of distilled water. I then gave the bottle a good shake and refined the setting to the finest mist I could produce. With the vehicle still wet I sprayed an even mist circling the entire vehicle and applying to all glass, paint, and trim. Upon completion I checked the bottle and found I had used only 100ml of RTU which equates to 25ml! (less than an ounce of concentrate) Product cost was one of my concerns so discovering that such a small amount was needed absolutely thrilled me.

Before drying the vehicle I rinsed it with the flood method to remove all the water, which didn’t work quite as well as expected but did remove a lot of it of course. After finishing with a waffle weave I discovered that spraying the entire car and talking to the camera is too long to leave the product on the surface. I had discovered streaks from leaving it on the surface for too long.

I half expected this may happen if the entire vehicle was completed at once in many conditions and knew immediately what I had done wrong. The next application I would change my method and I’ll share a video of the correct streak free method on the Ford Mustang further below. Spoiler: It came out 100% streak free with no effort whatsoever.

Initial Observations and lessons learned:

First off Hydro is just plain cool. There’s really no other way to say it. Just getting that part out of the way…

I had expected to need more product but in fact found that it easily covered the vehicle glass, trim, tires, and paint. If I had done wheels, wells and barrels first time around, 30-35ml may have been needed but 25ml was all that was needed for this vehicle.

As I mentioned only apply in this manner to a wet vehicle, don’t use in the sun, and don’t leave HydrO2 on the surface long at all or you may get streaks that you won’t be happy to see. Break the vehicle into 3 or 4 sections or move really fast and don’t gawk at cameras and you’ll be streak free.

I don’t believe I have felt any product that has the feel of slick glass like HydrO2 immediately after application and it actually feels even slicker hours later. There are sealants that are extremely slick and its not exactly the slickness I’m talking about but the felling of glass combined with slickness. The SL sitting outside 24/7 all this time the paint was certainly not smooth but it is now.

Video: HydrO2 Testing (1st time with HydrO2 – HVLP method and then Spray bottle)
Some close-up beading video too :)

Please enjoy in Full screen HD

HydrO2 Testing.mp4 - YouTube

It’s a New Dawn

Posted Image

The next morning I got my first look at the natural condensation beads, which I find always tells differences in protective products… More on that later.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Second Subject –2011 Ford Mustang – Proper Application

Condition of Vehicle:

Waxed 3 months ago and starting to fail. In need of both decon and polishing… I know… Time is short… ☹

Posted Image

Preparation:

On the Mustang I thoroughly washed the entire vehicle. I wanted to get a good test of HydrO2 with no contaminants or previous lsp in the way so I decontaminated the hood with our Polyshave block using Iron X paste as lube. After thoroughly cleansing the surface I polished it with Fixer and a 6” Cool Pad via Flex 3401. I did not finish it down with a finishing pad or any other steps beyond use of Eraser to remove polishing oils. The rest of the vehicle had nothing else done to it beyond the wash with one exception. I did complete a single test section on the hood with a finishing pad/polish combo. One of the after shots (not sure which) is zoomed in on the test spot I did with finishing polish but the rest of those pics are with only the cool pad and Fixer.

Posted Image

Posted Image

I taped off a small square on the lid to compare Permanon as requested by a few readers. I’ll let the videos get back to telling the story of HydrO2 application and then we can move forward.

Video:

Quick Prep in FF - YouTube

Application:

Please enjoy in Full screen HD

CarPro HydrO2 Application - YouTube

After

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

The following morning I was very excited to see the difference condensation would yield between HydrO2 and Permanon Platinum.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

And a couple beading shots of the SL

Posted Image

Posted Image

Pros:

1.-Application: Ease of use
2.-Ability to easily seal hard to or impossible to reach areas
3.-Versatility: Use on all surfaces
4.-Labor cost savings
5.- Gloss, theres no question it adds a rich gloss to the paint
6.- Slick Glass feel (Love it!)
7.- Vehicle stays cleaner longer, Bugs wipe off easily.
8.- Resistant to environment and chemicals far more than wax or sealant
9.-Choices: From 1.7 Ounce up to 1.32 Gallons
10.-Wonderful on glass!
11.-Adds slickness and repellency to coatings that lack it

??? - Items to test further:

1.-At what temperature does it fail (for example on motorcycles, exhaust tips, etc)?
2.-Durability: Claims of up to 1 to 3 months
3.-How much will it be affected by
4.-I’m testing in windshield wiper reservoir at 1:10 & 1:15 to verify it wont leave streaks where it over shoots onto paint.
5.-Does rubbing with a wet sponge method yield better durability?

Cons:

1.-Can not be applied in the sun.
2.- Educated assumption - Paint needs to be cleaner than when you apply a wax or sealant for best bonding.
3.- Applying to the entire vehicle at one time has the potential to leave streaks if left on surface too long. What to do? – Apply it correctly and its fool proof!

Final Observations and Notes:

Easy, glossy, slick, versatile, time saver, all of these are a resounding YES. The only thing left for time to prove is durability. I am really looking forward to seeing how long it lasts on the various prep tests I did and hearing from everyone else. If I get a strong solid month of this kind of protection and this ease of use I will be satisfied and use it regularly for the time savings, 2 months and I’ll be extremely happy. 3 months and I would be blown away. It passed my first Dawn wash test so bravo there, and applied over the top of glass and on my existing coat of Flyb30 it appears to have bonded well to them. On my CQuartz test panel I also applied HydrO2 and it appears to be a good bond there as well.

One place this product excels is at sealing anything you want even if you cant reach it. Seal your brake calipers, door jambs, undercarriage, wheel wells… The ability to seal places you can’t reach with waxes, sealants, and coatings easily by hand is great to have in the CarPro line.

Bottom line: Sealing an entire vehicle in minutes without any buffing is a truly joyous experience.

Estimated Cost Per Vehicle and Qty. Applications per bottle

Posted Image

Will Follow up on testing:

Thank you for taking the time to read this review! Cheers

Discussion, questions, comments, and thoughts are welcome and appreciated.

Posted Image

Edited by CEE DOG, 07 February 2013 - 06:40 PM.

Continuous effort - not strength or intelligence - is the key to unlocking our potential Winston Churchill

Store: http://www.carpro-us.com/
Email: Corey@carpro-us.com
Phone: 386-259-0759

#2 SSizzlin'

SSizzlin'

• Members
  • 268 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 10:36 PM

NICEEEEEEEE review, pal!!

I can't wait to try it(bought some from you). I love it because I can rinse off the Griot's Paint Prep, then go straight to application!!! EASY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

#3 CEE DOG

CEE DOG

• Members
  • 658 posts

Posted 08 February 2013 - 06:14 AM

That sounds like a great method Mark :nod: Your really going to love it!!

Thanks for taking the time to comment bud!
Continuous effort - not strength or intelligence - is the key to unlocking our potential Winston Churchill

#4 TroyScherer

TroyScherer

• Members
  • 308 posts

Posted 08 February 2013 - 06:40 AM

I like the 50/50 with Permanon. I thought Permanon had great beading but Hydr02 makes Permanon look average.

I can't wait to see the durability as this may be my new topper for CQ.

#5 CEE DOG

CEE DOG

• Members
  • 658 posts

Posted 08 February 2013 - 07:53 PM

Thanks Troy! I'll be sure to keep you updated. Text or call anytime on the cell for a quick update. Just added the 1 Liter size to the store tonight.

#6 Old Tiger

Old Tiger

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 48 posts

Posted 09 February 2013 - 07:11 AM

I like the 50/50 with Permanon. I thought Permanon had great beading but Hydr02 makes Permanon look average.

I can't wait to see the durability as this may be my new topper for CQ.

This does indeed look amazing Troy! I am eagerly awaiting my order!
As always Corey, amazing work!

#7 Picus

Picus

• Members
  • 3,864 posts

Posted 09 February 2013 - 07:28 AM

This does indeed look amazing Troy! I am eagerly awaiting my order!
As always Corey, amazing work!

Not that anyone needs more motivation; but I have used this on three cars now. Absolutely amazed at how easy it is to use on all kinds of surfaces. Looks really nice too. Do it via HPLV if you can, saves a *ton* of product.
Click here to see what I've been working on, or here to see my YouTube page!

#8 CEE DOG

CEE DOG

• Members
  • 658 posts

Posted 11 February 2013 - 05:34 PM

Thank you Jim!

Thank you Kevin!

#9 Tom Weed

Tom Weed

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 92 posts

Posted 12 February 2013 - 07:11 AM

Hi Corey, nice review...

Would you recommend this as a booster to a coating or would it be better as a stand alone?

#10 CEE DOG

CEE DOG

• Members
  • 658 posts

Posted 13 February 2013 - 07:35 PM

I would recommend it as either Tom! I'm thrilled with it so far. I was starting to think Reload was better at releasing dust and dirt but when I woke up this morning the daily driver that stays outside looked crystal! Its been going on two weeks and the gloss seems to be even more evident now. Slickness is still there and not sure if we got a light rain or if it just blew off but the car is clean.

#11 Detailed Designs Auto Spa

Detailed Designs Auto Spa

• Members
  • 1,454 posts
  • LocationAtlanta

Posted 14 February 2013 - 12:19 PM

Great write up Corey!

-Detailed Designs Auto Spa-

We hang out hats on offering the best car detailing, clear bra / paint protection film installations, and, the broadest line of incredible coatings including Modesta, CQuartz Finest and Opti-Coat Pro in Atlanta.

All work is completed in-house by our expert full time staff with a 100% satisfaction guarantee.

Your time is valuable. Come to Atlanta's only real choice for caring for all of your new and used car detailing and protection needs.

Our professional detail and clear bra shop is located just 13 minutes outside of 285:

2161 Old Covington Hwy SW, Suite B

Conyers, GA. 30012

Check out our regularly updated Click & Brag auto detailing, clear bra and coating thread

http://www.detaileddesignsautospa.com

Facebook

Twitter

#12 Greg Gellas

Greg Gellas

• Members
  • 641 posts

Posted 14 February 2013 - 08:37 PM

Hydro was applied yesterday. I found amazing beading, great slickness, and adhesion to coatings, so far. Long term will tell, but after 1 day, it really is a spray on spray off sealant.

#13 LangMan37

LangMan37

• Members
  • 987 posts

Posted 14 February 2013 - 09:30 PM

Great review Corey, as always. Thanks.
DEREK

OnTheSpot Mobile Detailers
Serving all of West Michigan since 2003

http://www.facebook....mobiledetailers

#14 Perfections

Perfections

• Members
  • 197 posts

Posted 15 February 2013 - 06:33 PM

I'm loving it more and more!

#15 SSizzlin'

SSizzlin'

• Members
  • 268 posts

Posted 16 February 2013 - 04:48 PM

Used Hydro2 today. This stuff is so bad ***!! When I dried my car with the master blaster, the water blew off faster than any other LSP I've ever tried. If I could get 2-3 months out of it, I'll be more than satisfied! I can't stand applying LSP's, so this was a dream! I'm using it at a stand alone.

#16 CEE DOG

CEE DOG

• Members
  • 658 posts

Posted 17 February 2013 - 09:11 PM

Thank you Derek!! Thrilled you enjoyed it!

Thank you John! Will have your 5 Liter in momentarily, rofl!

Thank you Mark! I knew this would be one you would enjoy.

#17 CEE DOG

CEE DOG

• Members
  • 658 posts

Posted 17 February 2013 - 09:13 PM

Two Week Update and Testing Feedback

Well, first the most important question- Is it still beading and sheeting? Yes, very well indeed.
What I am happy with is I see no difference in durability yet regardless of the surface I applied to whether it was washed with Dawn, stripped completely, or washed with only car wash and had wax still on the surface I applied to. A difference may well become apparent over time but so far none is noted. The following are shots after a day or so of rain a couple days ago.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Does it stay as clean as a Reload sealed surface? I would say I dont believe so. I think Reload has the upper hand in stay clean ability but I'll be doing a 50/50 test to figure this out. So far its just me looking at hydro and saying I think Reload stayed cleaner than that last time I tested it.

Is it still slick? It is smooth with some slickness but has lost some slickness compared with initial application as is usually the case with lsp.

Now for the interesting and educational part. The following images are from the same time and rain a couple days ago but on the rear lid where I conducted a followup test. Here (a week after HydrO2 application) I applied Reload over one section and Poorboys Natty’s blue wax over the other. Note that they did not play well and impeded each other some what. So, those asking I would say if you want to layer apply Reload under Hydro and not on top of it.

Posted Image

2 Week conclusion:

So far so good, the sheeting has been phenomenal and the car is dry by the time I park it with all water sliding off in the drive.

Dlux still doing great after 8 months now:

Posted Image

CQuartz Dlux Plastic & Rubber Coating (SKY Kit) - www.CarPro-US.com

HydrO2: Touchless Silica Sealant Concentrate (500ml) - www.CarPro-US.com

#18 CEE DOG

CEE DOG

• Members
  • 658 posts

Posted 18 February 2013 - 06:19 AM

Oh, one other thing. I tested in the windshield reservoir at length yesterday. This is a no no... If it was pouring rain when used it might be fine but I did it dry as that is worst case and if course some people turn their wipers on just to clean the glass. At 15:1 and even at 40:1 it still left streaks and smears with no water to wash it off. Do not use it in your reservoir.

#19 TroyScherer

TroyScherer

• Members
  • 308 posts

Posted 21 February 2013 - 03:52 PM

Ok, I am dying to get some of this as it would top my CQ perfectly....

#20 Perfections

Perfections

• Members
  • 197 posts

Posted 21 February 2013 - 07:30 PM

Ok, I am dying to get some of this as it would top my CQ perfectly....

I just ordered a liter tonight, so don't buy up 2 many of those, I want mine! Lol

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users