Photo
- - - - -

Polishing aluminum wheels, and original paint. What to use?

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 animes2k

animes2k

• Members
  • 921 posts

Posted 05 May 2012 - 08:59 PM

So I'm picking up this bad boy later this week and I wanted to know what I could do to these bare aluminum wheels to polish them up really well. I was look at the Flitz polish, with the drill attachments, but am open to ideas.

As well, this is factory original paint (about 13 years old, Mexican model) and I think it's probably base/clear, but I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions or experience with one of these before I started testing myself.

Thanks!

Posted Image

#2 MDRX8

MDRX8

• Members
  • 3,989 posts

Posted 06 May 2012 - 05:05 AM

Take a look here and pick what product need Results for aluminum - Search and for paint High Definition - Pro Line Products | Car Paint Protection – 3DProducts you can't go wrong with UNO & POXY...
*****ZOOM-ZOOM FOREVER*****
*****"THE MORE I KNOW THE LESS I UNDERSTAND"*****

#3 wascallyrabbit

wascallyrabbit

Combat Wounded

• Members
  • 1,201 posts

Posted 06 May 2012 - 07:10 PM

i like the meguiar's dynacone.

you'll just have to do a test spot on the paint to see if its bc or ss.
Never be afraid to try something new. Remember, amateurs built the ark, and professionals built the Titanic. ~Unknown

#4 scooter2525

scooter2525

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 48 posts

Posted 06 May 2012 - 08:23 PM

Super beetle? What year?

I have a '68 that could use me driving it again.

#5 wascallyrabbit

wascallyrabbit

Combat Wounded

• Members
  • 1,201 posts

Posted 07 May 2012 - 09:21 AM

he said 13 yrs old so i guess '99 or so.
Never be afraid to try something new. Remember, amateurs built the ark, and professionals built the Titanic. ~Unknown

#6 Brad B.

Brad B.

Senior Moderator

• Moderators
  • 5,051 posts

Posted 07 May 2012 - 09:28 AM

....about 13 years old, Mexican model...

Very cool. I didn't know we could get those here. How did you do it?
My Stable, The Sanctuary and lots of car pictures!.
2014 Carrera S, 2012 VW Touareg, 2005 Audi S4, 1996 Porsche Carrera C4S, 1973 BMW 2002tii

#7 animes2k

animes2k

• Members
  • 921 posts

Posted 10 May 2012 - 06:34 PM

It's been through a few previous owners. The title says 1970 VW, so I just had to have it transferred. I believe the chassis is a 1970, while everything around it is modern. Fuel injection, hydraulic lifters, A/C, catalytic converter, disc brakes, decent seats, transponder ignition cutoff, 'security system' lock in the fender. ~42k miles/68k km.

FWIW, I tried cleaning up the wheels with Sonax, and with Meg's consumer Hot Rims Aluminum and they didn't make much of a dent.

I hit them today with the Flitz Aluminum Pre-Clean and holy crap that stuff took EVERYTHING off. Glad I was wearing long sleeves, rubber gloves and goggles, tho. I did part of a wheel by hand with the Flitz polish after that and it started to come up REALLY nicely. I also got new shoes on there, as the originals were total junk and scary to drive.

I'll get some after pics later - this is before the Flitz Pre-Clean.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

A full detail is in order. Clay, polish, seal/wax, Z12 the glass... It certainly needs it!

I also tried the Meg's cone system. Totally unimpressed. The smaller Flitz ball did OKAY, but honestly, I'm getting the best results by hand. I do like the Flitz polish with a paper towel, though. Does the job nicely.

#8 scooter2525

scooter2525

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 48 posts

Posted 14 May 2012 - 01:11 PM

he said 13 yrs old so i guess '99 or so.

Misread on my part. Forget that Mexico was making them until the past few years.

#9 animes2k

animes2k

• Members
  • 921 posts

Posted 19 May 2012 - 10:20 PM

Ok, quick update.

Here's where we started - that's not just dirt, that's baked-in crud:
Posted Image

This is what they looked like after the Pre-Clean:
Posted Image

And a wash:
Posted Image

A pass with the Flitz Ball:
Posted Image

My only complaint is that the ball (even the smaller/motorcycle one which fits into the lug recesses nicely) is hard to get into the detail areas.

To get them fully polished up still requires a good bit of hand work.

#10 brownbob06

brownbob06

• Members
  • 324 posts

Posted 19 May 2012 - 10:27 PM

Wow, that's a hell of a job on the rims.

FWIW the only Megs hot rims that works really good for me is the chrome. The aluminum one doesnt do much.

I have aluminum rims on my truck, looks like I'm gonna have to pick up some flitz!

#11 Thomas Dekany

Thomas Dekany

• Members
  • 11,564 posts

Posted 19 May 2012 - 11:17 PM

Congrats on the new ride!

I did a blue beetle awhile back, used UNO and POXY. Came out beautiful. It was very light (baby blue) blue.

http://www.tdekany.com Authorized Opti Coat Installer

#12 animes2k

animes2k

• Members
  • 921 posts

Posted 21 May 2012 - 07:19 AM

Brownbob: I was hesitant, but man does that stuff do the job! The polish itself is as good as anything else, maybe a bit better. But the Pre-Clean worked wonders. Wear full protection as it's some nasty stuff. Now I have to figure out what to protect them with. I threw some #16 on the rear wheel.

Thanks, Thomas! I finally started polishing yesterday and this is definitely going to be challenging, thanks to all the curves, protruding parts, and tight areas. I was making pretty good progress with the Flex, Meg's MF polishing pad and the Meg's cinnamon-scented Correction Compound. Finished down quite nicely and cut enough to take care of those nasty swirls. A couple of areas needed more than one pass, but even most of the deeper looking scratches came up well.

Unfortunately, I only got the passenger side done. I'll have to attack the rest at some other time, ideally before this weekend, as the BugOut is happening on Sunday!

#13 Thomas Dekany

Thomas Dekany

• Members
  • 11,564 posts

Posted 21 May 2012 - 07:27 AM

You have to take it to BugOut. That is a good show.

#14 animes2k

animes2k

• Members
  • 921 posts

Posted 21 May 2012 - 08:10 AM

You have to take it to BugOut. That is a good show.

Definitely going! My brother can't make it, but my coworker who has a new GTI will be joining me.

#15 Thomas Dekany

Thomas Dekany

• Members
  • 11,564 posts

Posted 21 May 2012 - 11:40 AM

Great! Have fun.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users