My Promise to my Children ~

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 TOGWT

TOGWT

• Members
  • 5,291 posts

Posted 15 August 2011 - 05:58 AM

I am your Parent 1st - your Friend 2nd. I will stalk you, flip out on you, lecture you, drive you insane, be your worst nightmare & hunt you down like a bloodhound when needed because I LOVE YOU ! When you understand that, I will know you are a responsible adult. You will NEVER find someone who loves, cares, & worries about you more than I do! If you don't hate me once in your life - I am not doing my job properly. Re-post if you are a parent & agree...♥
Detailing Art; where applicable Chemistry meets Aesthetics See Autopia Detailing Wiki

#2 dschribs

dschribs

• Members
  • 818 posts

Posted 15 August 2011 - 06:10 AM

I don't have any children of my own (do have a step-son) but it sounds totally reasonable to me.

Far too many parents are too concerned with being their kid's friend nowadays.

#3 flatstick

flatstick

• Members
  • 1,300 posts

Posted 15 August 2011 - 06:13 AM

I have kids and you hit the nail on the head. my primary job is to prepare them for the world, not be their buddy and let them disrespect me or anybody else. my wife and I live by the golden rule. love is not always easy but it is very important

Edited by flatstick, 15 August 2011 - 06:35 AM.

#4 Black99miata

Black99miata

• Members
  • 274 posts

Posted 15 August 2011 - 06:15 AM

A tough but absolutely true position to take, and one that will be understood by your child - someday. Nothing is more satisfying than having your child come to you and let you know that they now understand why you were tough on them at one point or another, and they feel they are better for it.

Jeff

#5 TOGWT

TOGWT

• Members
  • 5,291 posts

Posted 15 August 2011 - 06:32 AM

I remember on guy who’s parents allowed him to do anything he wanted to (or so it seemed to us) He shattered all our illusion one day when he pronounced “You’re really lucky your parents care about you they give you rules and make sure you obey them, I don’t have any rules ‘cause my parents just don’t care about me”

Detailing Art; where applicable Chemistry meets Aesthetics See Autopia Detailing Wiki

#6 Black99miata

Black99miata

• Members
  • 274 posts

Posted 15 August 2011 - 08:46 AM

Exactly... when one of my kids parents would tell me that their parents let them do this or that, or didn't hawk over them to do their homework, or some other cruel and unusal punishment :hurt:, I told them that it was sad that their parents didn't care enough to try to steer them in the right direction. They usually gave ma a confused look before they sulked away, but recently have realized what I was saying.

#7 TedFred

TedFred

• Members
  • 248 posts

Posted 15 August 2011 - 11:00 AM

My advice to those that are new parents. Tight reins to begin with and lossen them up as the kids get older and deserve their freedom. Do it the other way around and they will hate you. Once a person has freedom it is almost impossible to take it away without a fight. My wife and I have raised three children to adulthood with these principles.

#8 Thrillseeker

Thrillseeker

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 129 posts

Posted 18 August 2011 - 09:20 AM

My advice to those that are new parents. Tight reins to begin with and lossen them up as the kids get older and deserve their freedom. Do it the other way around and they will hate you. Once a person has freedom it is almost impossible to take it away without a fight. My wife and I have raised three children to adulthood with these principles.

+1 I have 4 kids and I agree 100%
All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing. Edmund Burke.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users