6 replies to this topic

#1 daltvater

daltvater

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 29 June 2011 - 03:02 PM

Gents,

Looking for some detailing advice here. Paint is about a year old and is more than ready for it's first hardcore detailing session. The only product I've used so far has been the Glaze below.

There are some minor swirl marks in the clear coat that I'd like to smooth out. The paint is very dry and is missing depth. (I think as a result of prepping it with the clay bar)

Below is a picture of what I have to work with and the stages I've made up and tricked myself into thinking is correct.

Stage 1: Cutting Pad, Fine Cut Cleaner
Stage 2: Polishing Pad, Deep Crystal Polish
Stage 3: Finishing Pad, Klasse Sealer

Any help would be appreciated. This is all I have to work with...

Posted Image

#2 daltvater

daltvater

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 29 June 2011 - 03:07 PM

And a pic of the car, Midnight Blue.

If anyone knows how to get bug marks off on Venture Shield I'd love some advice on that as well. I have a feeling they are on there forever.

Posted Image

#3 Kolokefalo

Kolokefalo

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 75 posts

Posted 29 June 2011 - 03:53 PM

I would say the "guide to detailing" forum is the best place to start.

#4 Accumulator

Accumulator

• Members
  • 35,437 posts

Posted 30 June 2011 - 09:11 AM

Gents,

Looking for some detailing advice here. Paint is about a year old and is more than ready for it's first hardcore detailing session. The only product I've used so far has been the Glaze below.

There are some minor swirl marks in the clear coat that I'd like to smooth out. The paint is very dry and is missing depth. (I think as a result of prepping it with the clay bar)

Below is a picture of what I have to work with and the stages I've made up and tricked myself into thinking is correct...

While Kolokefalo is right, best thing is to really study up on this stuff so you're working from a position of knowledge, I'll give venture opinions on what you're proposing.

Stage 1: Cutting Pad, Fine Cut Cleaner

If you absolutely won't buy anything better, that oughta work OK for the initial, aggressive work. But you'll need to refine the resulting finish with something milder.

I'd *MUCH* rather see you use something like Meguiar's M105, or their new MF-based system, or Optimum Hyper Compound, or UNO. I'm quite confident that you'd be a *LOT* happier with one of those for the aggressive first step.

Stage 2: Polishing Pad, Deep Crystal Polish

Nah, sorry, wrong product. The DC Step #2 Polish isn't a "polish" in the sense of being a mild abrasive; it's a functionally nonabrasive "glaze" that merely gives a temporary apprearance boost. And it's not compatible with products like Klasse Sealant Glaze because it leaves a bunch of oils on the paint (that sealants won't stick to).

It was a good choice to use on the fresh repaint though.

You need a mildly abrasive polish like Meguiar's M205, or the second step of their MF-based system, or Optimum Hyper Polish, or UNO, or something from Menzerna. One of those will refine the finish left by the aggressive correction step and give a nice shiny gloss.

Stage 3: Finishing Pad, Klasse Sealer

KSG is good, but it needs to go over a perfectly clean (oil-free) surface. It's best used after a thorough paint cleaning with Klasse All In One.

Any help would be appreciated. This is all I have to work with...

Once you study up a bit and give this some more thought, I think you oughta get a few different/new products. There are a zillion ways to do this stuff, and the "buy something different" is seldom the advice I like to give, but in your case what you proposed simply won't work well.

Oh, and welcome to Autopia! I appreciate the candor you showed in the title to this thread :D
The most interesting man in all of Autopia Land. (<--I didn't enter that!)

#5 TedFred

TedFred

• Members
  • 248 posts

Posted 30 June 2011 - 11:11 AM

I like the Megs 80 that you have. I think it make a good final finish, although Acccumulator has informed me that he thinks that 205 makes a better final finish. I have some 205 but haven't used it yet. I am going to do my silver car with the 205 this weekend. Can't wait

#6 Accumulator

Accumulator

• Members
  • 35,437 posts

Posted 01 July 2011 - 09:05 AM

I like the Megs 80 that you have. I think it make a good final finish, although Acccumulator has informed me that he thinks that 205 makes a better final finish. I have some 205 but haven't used it yet. I am going to do my silver car with the 205 this weekend. Can't wait

Hey, I somehow skipped right over that M80...sheesh...

Nothing wrong with it, just doesn't give the same finish as M205. The M80 won't have as much gloss but might give a different sort of "depth".

BUT...the same thing applies with regard to the KSG- the stuff M80 leaves behind will interfere with the KSG's bonding. If yo use it, wipe things down with rubbing alcohol before applying the KSG or you'll have issues.
The most interesting man in all of Autopia Land. (<--I didn't enter that!)

#7 Dan

Dan

• Members
  • 6,153 posts

Posted 01 July 2011 - 09:27 AM

Grab ultimate compound and swirlX from walmart for $14 for both and use those. They are the consumer equivalents for M105/205 and work very well on most paint. The stuff you have will make much more work for you, its definitely better to spend $20 on some new stuff. As much as I like KSG for its protecting abilities, I'd rather use something else on the midnight blue. For store bought, you can't beat Megs #26 on darks. If you want to order online, BFWD or OCW look great on dark blue.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users