Photo
- - - - -

Interior Detailing - My Tribute to the Toothbrush!!

fermani florida interior detailing

• Please log in to reply
29 replies to this topic

#1 David Fermani

David Fermani

Marketing Manager

• Moderators
  • 11,495 posts

Posted 14 December 2010 - 04:35 PM

As many of you are aware by now, I LOVE CLEANING INTERIORS! More than that, I often am known to scrub every possible square inch of them with the common toothbrush. I feel there is no better way to effectively and gently clean any non-fabric trim pieces. I also incorporate this valuable tool to many exterior cleaning chores as well. Depending on the substrate and it's condition, I will employ different methods, brush styles and cleaning agents to get the job done. After trying dozens of APCs, degreasers and special cleaning agents, my top 4 favorites are HD TOTAL / Optimum Power Clean / Leather Masters Strong Cleaner / Leather Doctor Strong Cleaner 4.3. Here's a brief display of some of my recent work:

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Metro Detroit's Leader in Vehicle Preservation & Perfect Paint Finishes (since 1991)

Autopia.org.........The "ORG" stands for the "ORIGINAL" Autopia. Not the copycat PBMA AutopiaForums. Beware of imitators!!! 

Please Like Autopia's FaceBook page: http://www.facebook....ia/343081424515

MetroDetroitAutoDetailer@gmail.com

HD Detroit

#2 David Fermani

David Fermani

Marketing Manager

• Moderators
  • 11,495 posts

Posted 14 December 2010 - 04:36 PM

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Metro Detroit's Leader in Vehicle Preservation & Perfect Paint Finishes (since 1991)

Autopia.org.........The "ORG" stands for the "ORIGINAL" Autopia. Not the copycat PBMA AutopiaForums. Beware of imitators!!! 

HD Detroit

#3 BMAPARTS

BMAPARTS

• Members
  • 26 posts

Posted 14 December 2010 - 04:44 PM

Toothbrush is such a powerful tool to have in the detailing arsenal, I always recommend it too! Thanks for sharing :)
Happy Motoring!,
BMA Auto Parts, Inc.
1822 Victory Blvd.
Glendale, CA 91201
(818) 240-1223

#4 Barry Theal

Barry Theal

• Members
  • 3,948 posts

Posted 14 December 2010 - 04:56 PM

You know they make battery powered ones now. lol Great tribute.

#5 MarcHarris

MarcHarris

• Members
  • 1,606 posts

Posted 14 December 2010 - 05:04 PM

You're the man David. So crazy and the results say EVERYTHING. I've been using a toothbrush more and more recently with great results, but of course I don't have the collection you do.
As featured in DuPont Registry!

Proud Half-rican American, former grunt, contributor to the Detailed Image Ask-A-Pro Blog and Michigander
-Marc Harris of AutoLavish Fine Automobile Care, Michigan :wavey

#6 gofast908z

gofast908z

• Members
  • 1,412 posts

Posted 14 December 2010 - 05:48 PM

You know they make battery powered ones now. lol Great tribute.

Anyone tried one for detailing?
Jeff McGoveran
Immaculate Reflections Detailing

www.Immaculate-Reflections.com

#7 schiddy

schiddy

• Members
  • 201 posts

Posted 14 December 2010 - 05:55 PM

That's amazing! I see you said what leather cleaners you use. Are those before and afters with conditioner too or just after cleaning? Is a conditioner needed after the cleaners?

#8 michakaveli

michakaveli

Michalski Detailing, LLC

• Members
  • 698 posts
  • LocationElgin, SC

Posted 14 December 2010 - 06:04 PM

Good thread Dave!

Michalski Detailing, LLC | Serving Columbia, SC and surrounding areas

An authorized CQuartz Finest Installer for South Carolina

An authorized Optimum Opti-Coat PRO Installer in South Carolina

- come visit us @ www.MichalskiDetailing.com

Like Us on FaceBook

#9 Leadfootluke

Leadfootluke

• Members
  • 877 posts

Posted 14 December 2010 - 09:19 PM

Some of that leather looks a million time better.

So why a toothbrush over a brush with the same type/stiffness but bigger?

#10 LS1-MEX

LS1-MEX

• Members
  • 328 posts

Posted 14 December 2010 - 10:45 PM

your toothbrushes have the craziest handles ever......but im a lil concerned about the leopard print brush, is ther sumthing your not tellin us?? lol great tribute
PRISTINE DETAILS
SERVING THE ENTIRE S.F. BAY AREA

Marco (Owner/Operator)

#11 Ed341

Ed341

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 15 December 2010 - 04:18 AM

Wow, amazing transformations! I'm looking forward to completing my customer's Sequoia's interior on Friday. Going to try some of your tactics since its the dirtiest vehicle I've had the pleasure to work on.

#12 MarcHarris

MarcHarris

• Members
  • 1,606 posts

Posted 15 December 2010 - 07:11 AM

Oh, and I wanted to make sure to give you credit and show just how much I respect this type of attention to detail.

I used the Fermani method of leather cleaning:

Posted Image

Posted Image

Taken from the mega write-up we did from the '29 Ford Roadster: http://www.autopia.o...tml#post1395309
As featured in DuPont Registry!

Proud Half-rican American, former grunt, contributor to the Detailed Image Ask-A-Pro Blog and Michigander
-Marc Harris of AutoLavish Fine Automobile Care, Michigan :wavey

#13 Accumulator

Accumulator

• Members
  • 36,139 posts

Posted 15 December 2010 - 08:25 AM

David Fermani- Rather than feeling inspired by your work, I just wish you were doing my interiors for me :D So you *enjoy* doing that work huh?!?

#14 JCastro1085

JCastro1085

• Members
  • 161 posts

Posted 15 December 2010 - 01:50 PM

you know they make battery powered ones now. Lol great tribute.

rotflmao!!!!
"Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they made a difference in the world. But, the Marines don't have that problem."
-Ronald Reagan

#15 David Fermani

David Fermani

Marketing Manager

• Moderators
  • 11,495 posts

Posted 15 December 2010 - 01:52 PM

[quote name='BMAPARTS']Toothbrush is such a powerful tool to have in the detailing arsenal, I always recommend it too! Thanks for sharing :)[/QUOTE]
I agree! Thanks for agreeing with me.

[quote name='Barry Theal']You know they make battery powered ones now. lol Great tribute.[/QUOTE]
But those don't build up the muscles in my forearms! :Banane19:

[quote name='MuttGrunt']You're the man David. So crazy and the results say EVERYTHING. I've been using a toothbrush more and more recently with great results, but of course I don't have the collection you do.[/QUOTE]
[quote name='MuttGrunt']Oh, and I wanted to make sure to give you credit and show just how much I respect this type of attention to detail.[/QUOTE]

That's awsome! See, don't ever say you've never learned something from me. Much appreciated. :brushteeth:

[quote name='gofast908z']Anyone tried one for detailing?[/QUOTE]

My kids have the kung-fu death grip on theirs otherwise I would have. :evil:

[quote name='schiddy']That's amazing! I see you said what leather cleaners you use. Are those before and afters with conditioner too or just after cleaning? Is a conditioner needed after the cleaners?[/QUOTE]

None of these after after pictures show any surface that is conditioned. As a matter of fact many of the befores (the ones that are shiny) show how ugly and unnatural a conditioned surface can look. I'm on the bandwagon of people that prefer "protectors" as they tend to not leave anything on the surface.

[quote name='michakaveli']Good thread Dave![/QUOTE]

Thank you sir! :wave:

[quote name='Leadfootluke']Some of that leather looks a million time better.

So why a toothbrush over a brush with the same type/stiffness but bigger?[/QUOTE]

Good question. I have and use larger brushes, but nothing beats a concentrated deep cleaning effort that a toothbrush can produce. Kinda just a preference I guess. My customers appreciate that their interior is being cleaned with one too. Some detailers brag about using expensive wax, I brag about this. :bump2:

[quote name='LS1-MEX']your toothbrushes have the craziest handles ever......but im a lil concerned about the leopard print brush, is ther sumthing your not tellin us?? lol great tribute[/QUOTE]

LOL - I promise I'm only using those brushes on consigment right now. They are not mine. :whistle1:

[quote name='Ed341']Wow, amazing transformations! I'm looking forward to completing my customer's Sequoia's interior on Friday. Going to try some of your tactics since its the dirtiest vehicle I've had the pleasure to work on.[/QUOTE]

Thanks Ed - Let us know how it works out. That trunk interior is huge! Ouch.

[quote name='Accumulator']David Fermani- Rather than feeling inspired by your work, I just wish you were doing my interiors for me :D So you *enjoy* doing that work huh?!?[/QUOTE]

I'd do it in a heartbeat Accumulator! I'd rather scrub interiors all day than buff paint. As long as the lighting is good. :headbang:

HD Detroit

#16 BigAl3

BigAl3

this is the place to be!

• Members
  • 9,780 posts

Posted 15 December 2010 - 01:59 PM

http://ts4.mm.bing.n...c8412&index=ch1 :D
autopia.org - the internet's original "autopia" tried & true
enthusiast detailing forum - accept no imitations!
the search function is your friend...

#17 DaGonz

DaGonz

• Members
  • 2,748 posts
  • LocationMarlborough, MA

Posted 15 December 2010 - 08:13 PM

I have an old Sonicare powered toothbrush that I use for really stubborn ingrained dirt on vinyl and leather surfaces.

The Stable...
Platinum White Pearl 2014 Ford Edge SEL AWD

Tungsten Gray 2006 Ford Mustang GT "Mistress Lauren"
Oxford White/Brilliant Silver 2009 Ford F150 XLT 4x4 Supercab

WaxWorks Automotive Detailing... for the shine that turns heads.

#18 BluBrett

BluBrett

• Members
  • 293 posts

Posted 15 December 2010 - 08:28 PM

Your details are my favorite on the whole forum! I really like how in-depth they usually are.
2013 Lexus CT200h
1995 Acura Legend
2000 Chevy Tahoe LT

#19 schiddy

schiddy

• Members
  • 201 posts

Posted 15 December 2010 - 10:44 PM

None of these after after pictures show any surface that is conditioned. As a matter of fact many of the befores (the ones that are shiny) show how ugly and unnatural a conditioned surface can look. I'm on the bandwagon of people that prefer "protectors" as they tend to not leave anything on the surface.

So I'm a little confused now. For the before and after picture, the before side is shiny and before you touched the dirty leather at all, or does it have a pre treat or cleaner on it? The after side is just after a cleaner only? So for undamaged leather you follow the prescription of just protectant? Do you still use conditioner on damaged leather?

#20 JCastro1085

JCastro1085

• Members
  • 161 posts

Posted 16 December 2010 - 12:12 AM

But those don't build up the muscles in my forearms! :Banane19

LMAO....nice!
"Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they made a difference in the world. But, the Marines don't have that problem."
-Ronald Reagan

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: fermani, florida, interior detailing

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users