• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 importpro24

importpro24

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 14 February 2010 - 12:24 AM

I am just getting started and i was wondering what the differences were between wax and a sealant and which would you recommend.

#2 Street5927

Street5927

• Members
  • 1,104 posts

Posted 14 February 2010 - 12:54 AM

I would use both for a little added protection. My favorite sealant is the BlackFire Wet Diamond. I then top this with wax, although there are going to be some disagreements to this method. You can do a search and get many answers. Here is a thread that addresses your question.

http://www.autopia.o...er-sealant.html
Ryan

#3 brwill2005

brwill2005

• Members
  • 2,021 posts

Posted 14 February 2010 - 06:08 AM

Keep it simple; a good sealant is all you need. Once you have applied a sealant, you can use a spray wax with every wash to enhance the protection and the shine.
Brad Will- Owner
Reflections Auto Salon LLC

#4 Devilsown

Devilsown

• Members
  • 544 posts

Posted 14 February 2010 - 06:20 AM

What are you looking for protection or looks. A wax will not last as long as a sealant, but a wax will add depth to your paint. Sealants tend to look better on light colored cars as wax's look amazing on dark cars. I use both it just depends on the time of year and the color of the car. Other factors I consider are:

Where is the car parked most of the time?
How often is it washed?
How often is is waxed/ sealed?

A more important thing to consider is your polish, a great polish job can make or break how a cars paint looks, no matter what wax or sealant you use. I would go for a PO106FA polish, or a optimum polish, then chose a wax or sealant that fits your needs. I personally like Optimum, 1z Glanz Wax, and Z2, Klasse AIO is a great sealants. As for Wax's Megs M16 is my fisrt wax I go to, I have others but that is my go to wax. Just remember POLISH is the base to a kick *** shine.

Oh and :welcome there is a lot of info to take in but just go one step at a time.
Canfield
03 Mini Cooper S- 900 Pure Silver
97 BMW ///M3 309 Arctic Silver Metallic
93 Mazda Rx-7 R1- J9 Competition Yellow Mica

#5 AeroCleanse

AeroCleanse

• Members
  • 1,257 posts

Posted 14 February 2010 - 06:30 AM

I use Ultima Paint Guard Plus sealant. Its easy to use and looks great. I will add a layer of wax over the top on some cars to give it a wetter look, esp on darker colored paint.

So I would buy UPGP and an great wax like a Swissvax or Dodo Juice and save the wax for that extra little something.
BespokeCarDetailing and AeroCleanse, LLC

#6 Accumulator

Accumulator

• Members
  • 36,152 posts

Posted 14 February 2010 - 07:33 AM

I use both. IMO it's not a better/worse kind of thing, they're just somewhat different.

IME some waxes (such as Collinite 476S), last a lot longer than many sealants and often offer better protection against things like etching from bug guts.

IME#2, the primary advantage of sealants (other than the "signature look"), is that you can layer them for increased durability and protection. Without the layering, I never get much better protection out of sealants than I do from the more durable waxes and it's often not even as good.

Don't read the above the wrong way; as I said, I use both and it's about 50/50 on our vehicles. But I only use a wax *or* a sealant, I don't mix them on the same vehicle.

#7 importpro24

importpro24

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 14 February 2010 - 08:16 PM

wow thanks for all the help i will just have to try something out i guess and really read all the forums

#8 Devilsown

Devilsown

• Members
  • 544 posts

Posted 14 February 2010 - 08:39 PM

Alot of info huh? well just ask away great group here.
Canfield
03 Mini Cooper S- 900 Pure Silver
97 BMW ///M3 309 Arctic Silver Metallic
93 Mazda Rx-7 R1- J9 Competition Yellow Mica

#9 Strictly Detail

Strictly Detail

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 22 February 2010 - 05:47 PM

ive been wondering the same lately wax or sealant? ive purchased petets 53 and cg 50/50 and yet to use them ive been just using my blackfire sealant and havent had any issues i feel like i wasted money on wax not to use

#10 Wumpus

Wumpus

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

Posted 26 February 2010 - 02:40 PM

Where is the car parked most of the time?
How often is it washed?
How often is is waxed/ sealed?

Outside, and not as often as ideal (every two months). Do those answers mean I should lean toward a sealant?

#11 Envious Eric

Envious Eric

• Members
  • 5,030 posts

Posted 26 February 2010 - 02:52 PM

sealants will last longer but look more reflective
waxes will have short term durability in comparison but look more glossy

*of course, it depends on prep, conditions, ingredients, etc, but there it is in short!

enviousdetailing - When quality matters the most!
714 356 5145
enviousdetailing@gmail.com

Serving Orange county, San Diego county, LA county

Paint correction and coating applications

Clear bra and vinyl wraps

PDR, wheel repair, bumper repair

Window tinting, caliper styling, detailing

ONE STOP SHOP NOW IN ORANGE COUNTY

#12 jfelbab

jfelbab

• Members
  • 1,402 posts

Posted 26 February 2010 - 04:28 PM

On my darker colored cars I use a carnauba. I appreciate the look of a carnauba on a darler color. I also find that carnauba seems to resist damage from bird droppings better than a sealant.

I use sealant on my lighter colored cars as I like the higher reflectivity and sealants seem to outlast most, not all, carnaubas.

I also think that sealants hold up to high temperatures better than a carnauba. If you live in an area that sees 90+ temperatures you might see better protection from a sealant over time.

While this is a generalization, I find that carnaubas look deeper and have a tendency to make the car color look darker and have more depth while selants seem to have a higher reflectivity, they seem to be glassy in appearance while carnaubas seem to look deep.

Personal preference is the key here.

I typically wax every month or two so either product lasts long enough for me. Some sealants still look good after 3-4 months while most carnaubas start to pale after a couple months.

No one can pick the right product for you. You need to find the one you like best and go with it.

MR2jf.jpg

#13 Aesop F1

Aesop F1

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 123 posts

Posted 26 February 2010 - 04:42 PM

I use wax typically. Theres nothing more charming than a high quality wax.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users