• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 importpro24

importpro24

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 14 February 2010 - 12:24 AM

I am just getting started and i was wondering what the differences were between wax and a sealant and which would you recommend.

#2 Street5927

Street5927

• Members
  • 1,078 posts

Posted 14 February 2010 - 12:54 AM

I would use both for a little added protection. My favorite sealant is the BlackFire Wet Diamond. I then top this with wax, although there are going to be some disagreements to this method. You can do a search and get many answers. Here is a thread that addresses your question.

http://www.autopia.o...er-sealant.html
Ryan

#3 brwill2005

brwill2005

• Members
  • 2,021 posts

Posted 14 February 2010 - 06:08 AM

Keep it simple; a good sealant is all you need. Once you have applied a sealant, you can use a spray wax with every wash to enhance the protection and the shine.
Brad Will- Owner
Reflections Auto Salon LLC

#4 Devilsown

Devilsown

• Members
  • 543 posts

Posted 14 February 2010 - 06:20 AM

What are you looking for protection or looks. A wax will not last as long as a sealant, but a wax will add depth to your paint. Sealants tend to look better on light colored cars as wax's look amazing on dark cars. I use both it just depends on the time of year and the color of the car. Other factors I consider are:

Where is the car parked most of the time?
How often is it washed?
How often is is waxed/ sealed?

A more important thing to consider is your polish, a great polish job can make or break how a cars paint looks, no matter what wax or sealant you use. I would go for a PO106FA polish, or a optimum polish, then chose a wax or sealant that fits your needs. I personally like Optimum, 1z Glanz Wax, and Z2, Klasse AIO is a great sealants. As for Wax's Megs M16 is my fisrt wax I go to, I have others but that is my go to wax. Just remember POLISH is the base to a kick *** shine.

Oh and :welcome there is a lot of info to take in but just go one step at a time.
Canfield
03 Mini Cooper S- 900 Pure Silver
97 BMW ///M3 309 Arctic Silver Metallic
93 Mazda Rx-7 R1- J9 Competition Yellow Mica

#5 AeroCleanse

AeroCleanse

• Members
  • 1,257 posts

Posted 14 February 2010 - 06:30 AM

I use Ultima Paint Guard Plus sealant. Its easy to use and looks great. I will add a layer of wax over the top on some cars to give it a wetter look, esp on darker colored paint.

So I would buy UPGP and an great wax like a Swissvax or Dodo Juice and save the wax for that extra little something.
BespokeCarDetailing and AeroCleanse, LLC

#6 Accumulator

Accumulator

• Members
  • 35,436 posts

Posted 14 February 2010 - 07:33 AM

I use both. IMO it's not a better/worse kind of thing, they're just somewhat different.

IME some waxes (such as Collinite 476S), last a lot longer than many sealants and often offer better protection against things like etching from bug guts.

IME#2, the primary advantage of sealants (other than the "signature look"), is that you can layer them for increased durability and protection. Without the layering, I never get much better protection out of sealants than I do from the more durable waxes and it's often not even as good.

Don't read the above the wrong way; as I said, I use both and it's about 50/50 on our vehicles. But I only use a wax *or* a sealant, I don't mix them on the same vehicle.

#7 importpro24

importpro24

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 14 February 2010 - 08:16 PM

wow thanks for all the help i will just have to try something out i guess and really read all the forums

#8 Devilsown

Devilsown

• Members
  • 543 posts

Posted 14 February 2010 - 08:39 PM

Alot of info huh? well just ask away great group here.
Canfield
03 Mini Cooper S- 900 Pure Silver
97 BMW ///M3 309 Arctic Silver Metallic
93 Mazda Rx-7 R1- J9 Competition Yellow Mica

#9 Strictly Detail

Strictly Detail

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 22 February 2010 - 05:47 PM

ive been wondering the same lately wax or sealant? ive purchased petets 53 and cg 50/50 and yet to use them ive been just using my blackfire sealant and havent had any issues i feel like i wasted money on wax not to use

#10 Wumpus

Wumpus

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

Posted 26 February 2010 - 02:40 PM

Where is the car parked most of the time?
How often is it washed?
How often is is waxed/ sealed?

Outside, and not as often as ideal (every two months). Do those answers mean I should lean toward a sealant?

#11 toyotaguy

toyotaguy

• Members
  • 4,973 posts

Posted 26 February 2010 - 02:52 PM

sealants will last longer but look more reflective
waxes will have short term durability in comparison but look more glossy

*of course, it depends on prep, conditions, ingredients, etc, but there it is in short!

enviousdetailing - When quality matters the most!
714 356 5145
enviousdetailing@gmail.com

Serving Orange county, San Diego county, LA county

Paint correction and coating applications

#12 jfelbab

jfelbab

• Members
  • 1,390 posts

Posted 26 February 2010 - 04:28 PM

On my darker colored cars I use a carnauba. I appreciate the look of a carnauba on a darler color. I also find that carnauba seems to resist damage from bird droppings better than a sealant.

I use sealant on my lighter colored cars as I like the higher reflectivity and sealants seem to outlast most, not all, carnaubas.

I also think that sealants hold up to high temperatures better than a carnauba. If you live in an area that sees 90+ temperatures you might see better protection from a sealant over time.

While this is a generalization, I find that carnaubas look deeper and have a tendency to make the car color look darker and have more depth while selants seem to have a higher reflectivity, they seem to be glassy in appearance while carnaubas seem to look deep.

Personal preference is the key here.

I typically wax every month or two so either product lasts long enough for me. Some sealants still look good after 3-4 months while most carnaubas start to pale after a couple months.

No one can pick the right product for you. You need to find the one you like best and go with it.

#13 Aesop F1

Aesop F1

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 123 posts

Posted 26 February 2010 - 04:42 PM

I use wax typically. Theres nothing more charming than a high quality wax.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users